Stocking Question 10 Gallon Tank

1. tpasser2

tpasser2 Valued Member Member

I now have one albino cory, one blue paradise, and one not yet adult male guppy in my tank. I am trying to think of what else I can add to the tank in a few weeks after I graduate from college and set the 10 gallon back up at home. I also have some live plants right now. Anyway, I am trying to think of various possibilities of what I can add next. I won't be getting a bigger tank most likely until after graduate school which is about 3 years away (transportation would prob. be too much work). I don't know if I should go with a few male guppies only, female guppies (possible fry problems?), a couple more cory cats or what. I don't think my tank is really big enough for a school of many things and I am unaware of any other fish that are happy being stand-alone fish. Any suggestions? I don't know how much room is needed for something exotic like a goby or loach (if those even stay small enough) to utilize the newer sand I have in the tank. I obviously can't have Cichilds, but I do like how they use the sand and play in it and how my cory actually sifts through it.

2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Since my fish died in my 10. I'm starting new.

I'm probs gonna put 1 honey gourami and 4-5 male endlers.

Maybe that can give you some ideas.

3. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

How common are endlers? I haven't really seen them around my area at Pet Supplies Plus, Petco, or my LFS. They seem really cool though and I'll definitely consider them.

4. u

uphill4me Valued Member Member

I like the Loach idea! Research the right Loach before you consider buying it; very similar looking Loaches grow to very different sizes! I have some Chocolate (name?) Serpentine Loaches, very similar to a Khuli but solid cocoa that only get to about 3.5-4" and stay relatively slender. They react to weather changes more than the Larger Dojo Loaches in the same tank and have a lot of personality! They hide alot unless hiding places are available and prefer to have plants or decorations reach to the surface at more than one part of the tank. Mine spray sand like a fountain when they tunnel and like to wrestle with each other harmlessly in the Peat. Not many fish make my wife giggle like that!

I have never had Serpentine Loaches and Cory Cats in the same tank. I don't think it would be a problem as they are both quite playful and typically non violent. Anybody know how they react to each other?

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually you might be able to do some shell dweller chiclids, they do stay small, I know I was talking with a few folks and was told they would easily go in a 20gal and I could have quite a few in there. I would think that a 10gal could work just have to be very careful about the stock.

I personally am doing a 10gal right now that I am stocking with only male guppies, it is actually quite a nice tank to watch. It still needs just a touch of stock tweaking and things will be perfect for it.

6. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Hi there :)

I was under the impression that cory cats do best in schools of 4 to 6 or more, and that this would be alright if they're the kind of cories that stay small. Just remember that whatever fish you get, you've gotta check the following: recommended tank size (one inch of fish per gallon is very generally a terrible rule, I've found), pH/dH/if they need brackish conditions, aggression levels, etc. pH and dH are easy to get fish acclimated too so long as it's within reason (a fish that needs a pH of 8 won't do well in a pH of 4, but would be alright in a pH of 7 if acclimated correctly- given I don't think anything would do well in a pH of 4) but it's still good to know. All of this can be found on the fish profiles on this site, as well as other sites like it. I recommend looking at lots of different fish profiles from lots of different sites, as recommendations can differ from person to person.

The endlers are very common, we have some at our PetSmart. They're just like guppies but a little spottier and a little smaller (from what I've seen).

Cories are adorable btw. Congrats on your tank! Welcome to FishLore from a fellow newbie to the forum!

P.S. The following link is a nice reference I've found- the people that write the articles tend to be a little... strict with what they say is possible or not, but it's nice to read as the authors are people with doctorates in marine biology and such.
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_5/volume_5_3/stocking.htm

7. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

Hmm - those are all great ideas. Would one loach be fine though in a 10 gallon on his own? Also, I don't really see shell-dwelling cichlids very much. Are they pretty hard to find? I would love having cichlids like that if they would work with the other occupants of my tank. I had some aggression problems with three male guppies so that's the only reason why I'm weary of that. 110_2293.jpg There's a picture of my tank if that helps any...thanks

8. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

Thanks for the info, Mmbrown. I haven't seen endler's but I'll have to keep my eyes open. Maybe I've been overlooking them. I also disagree with the 1 inch/gallon thing. It's a very generic rule and I think you can fit more if you add fish into the right levels of the tank and actually plan it out. I am at the point now where I try to get everything as small as possible, when possible. I only have so much room to work with in a 10 gallon, so I want to make what I get worth it.

9. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Your tank is very pretty, I love the Roman ruin type decorations, they're so cool.

The inch per gallon rule is also terrible if you have a fish that needs a lot of swimming space- A fish could grow to be only four inches but because it's so active would do terribly even by itself in a 10.

I've been trying to think of a new fish to add to my 10 as well, and my options right now are a few endlers as mentioned or a honey gourami, so you could consider that fish as well as a stand alone. If you look at other 10g stocking threads, lots of them contain several suggestions for stocking. If I were you I would probably up the number of cories first, mostly because I think they're so darn adorable.

10. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

YAY cories! :)
    I have three albino cories in a 5 gallon and they are doing just fine. I like them a lot because they are very active and tend to swim all along the tank, not only the bottom.

So, maybe a few more cories. If you want the schooling behavior, definitely go with 4-6.

Endlers and guppies in the same tank? IMO OK if you don't plan on breeding them. I think PetSmart has the hybrid kind: they call them "endler guppies."

I used to have kuhli loaches as a kid in a ten gallon long. They were fantastic to watch!

11. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

I'm thinking more and more that I may add a couple of cories. I liked the juli cories that I saw earlier and I think they'd go well with my substrate color too. I'd probably get 2 more cories. I don't know whether adding a few more male guppies would be a good idea or not though. I'd like something else for my top/mid level too...

12. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

Would 5-6 Celestial Pearl Danios be good for the last fish I add to the tank? To be honest, I haven't seen dwarf cories around me really.

13. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Celestial pearls would be a wonderful addition

14. OP
    OP
    tpasser2

do you think the paradise could bother them though?

15. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Have you thought about Red Cherry Shrimps? I think they would look good in your tank.