Stocking Question

1. newhobbiest Initiate Member

I have a 20 gal with 3 Zebra Danios, 4 Leopard Danios, 2 Neon Tetras, 2 (small) Plecos, and a Cory Cat. I am looking for an eye-catching focal point fish. Was thinking a Betta. Would he be compatable? Have been checking into it, just not finding a definate yes or no. I realize my tank would be overstocked, but what better reason to start another tank? :)

2. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello and :sign0016: to FishLore!

Hmm. Well, if you want to add fish, you always need to check your water parameters. So....your stats show that your nitrite is zero and nitrate is 10, what about your ammonia?

Also, how are the fish getting along currently? OK? If so, before I add a different species, I would probably up the number of Neons to form a school as well as increase the cories to form a school. That will take care of your stocking. PLUS, what type of plecos do you have? Common plecos are gonna outgrow that tank faster than you can say jack sprat.

So yeah, sounds like a new tank is in your future!

Stand by for more replies!

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fish lore as well!

Your stocking is great so far, except for what I fear are most likely common plecos. As stated they will out grow your tank in short order. I would look to find out a definitive ID on them and go from there.

A great thought is to add some more cories as they like to be in larger groups usually 5 or more is a good group, thou I have done 4 to a group before. Also with the cories try to get the same type as they prefer friends of their own kind.

With that tank stock you have a lot of options for a focal point fish. It really depends on how much attitude you want from them. To me a Beta could work but you would have to get the right beta with the right attitude and if not have a backup plan for a tank for him. I would instead look more to either a gourami, or something like rams, apistos, or kribs.

4. newhobbiest Initiate Member

Ammonia is between .1 and .2. (forgot to add that. oops) My plecos are either Hypostomus or Marble/Leopard; leaning toward the Leopard. They are about 2 inches each right now. My fish all get along awesome. It's a very active, peaceful tank- I love it.

Would a school of Peppered corys take care of the algae?
    Could I add 3 more neons, 3-4 more corys, AND a Betta? I know it'll be a bit overstocked, but if I do that, I would take one pleco back so he could find a bigger home, and just house one until I get my 55 set up. (I do have a 55 gal tank that isn't set up yet. I'm moving in a month, so put a slight hold on it)

I appreciate all your help on this! :D

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates to Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

6. fighter55 Member Member

I wouldn't suggest a betta with danios, but if you keep enough of them(which you have) the nipping is usually reduced. Otherwise I think the betta will be fine will the cories, pleco(which should be moved to the 55 eventually), and probably the tetras, which can also nip too. Cories do eat algae, but aren't the most efficient fish out there.