Stocking Question

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, my tank is finally cycled, so I'm wanting to begin increasing the stock of my tank. So, I want some of your guys advice on my potential options.

Currently I have:
    3 Sunburst Platies (2m, 1f or 3m not totally sure)
    6 Black Skirt Tetra
    2 Serpae Tetra
    1 Dalmation Molly (m)

I'm planning on returning the serpae tetras, and maybe the molly depending on the course I take. I have come up with 4 options and I'm wondering if any of these would be good or if there is perhaps something better.

Option 1:
    1 Angelfish
    4 Sunburst Platies
    6 Black Skirt Tetras
    5 Corys or Ottos

Option 2:
    4 Guppies (3f, 1m)
    4 Sunburst Platies
    6 Black Skirt Tetra
    5 Corys or Ottos

Option 3:
    3 Dalmation Mollies (2f, 1m)
    4 Sunburst Platies
    6 Black Skirt Tetras
    5 Corys or Ottos

Option 4:
    1-3 Gouramis (idk how many or what kind, but I like them)
    4 Sunburst Platies
    6 Black Skirt Tetras
    5 Corys or Ottos

Those are what I have come up with so far as options and I'm wondering which would be best. My roommate and I really want a tank with much variety, so if you guys have any suggestions we'd love them. Thanks so much!

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Why is it 5 corys or 2 otos?

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well regaurdless you will want your schools of cories or otos up to 6+ each.

I'm not a fan of angels in 29s they really get too big. If you do only get one, you def don't have the space for two.

Most gouramis do not do well with more than one of their own kind. I would personally do maybe 1 three spot if you chose that route.

I personally like option 2 and 3 the best. I would add a DG to option 1 and then maybe a pair of rams or something to option 3.

4. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

um, I could do more ottos, I just thought I had read they do well in 2s but I might have been wrong.
    so for option 1, you think an angelfish and DG would work? Or just one or the other?

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I am not a fan of option one to be honest. I really think a 29 will work for a angel fish but its not really ideal if you see what I mean. If you did option one I would not do a gourami or anything.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They do best in larger groups, in well matured tanks with algae already growing in it. Most common problem with otos is that they starve to death.

7. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

e-watson--yeah, I understand what you're saying.
    jayzee-ok, I might not go for them yet

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, people get them too quickly :)

Option 4 will likely work if you get honey gouramis, otherwise multiples will not work well.

I would not do options 2 or 3 - too many livebearers.

You could get away with one angel, but I too wouldn't add a gourami.

Since the core of the list is the same, we are really just looking at centerpiece fish for the tank. I don;t think it should be a matter of corys or otos, as they perform completely different tasks. You can do both of them. I would do either the angelfish or a 3 spot gourami and a dwarf cichlid or two.

9. Heather12404 Member Member

Just sharing what stock I have in my 29G (this list got approval by various members of Fishlore):
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    8 Orange Flame Tetras
    6 Panda Cories
    2 Gold Rams
    1 Blue Ram
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Sunburst Platy
    3 Purple Mystery Snails
    1 Dwarf Crayfish

10. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think that's pushing it and over stocked. Quite a big bioload for a 29 IMO.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That is a pretty big bio load. I wouldn't recommend that people stock like that. That is way beyond 1" per gallon.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's a fully stocked tank, but I've seen and kept worse. It's certainly manageable and well within the capabilities of the filter. I wouldn't add any more fish though. Heather, I do hope you were able to get a QT - when the tank is heavily stocked you have to remove fish as soon as you notice a problem, or you risk a chain reaction of events.

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I would advise against a 3spot in a 29, been there, hated the outcome. They really do command a larger tank space lol. Honeys,sparkling and chocolate gourami are all relativley peacful assuming the tank is well established for the chocolates.

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, chocolates are supposed to be hard to keep.

Banded gouramis would be another option - considerably more laid back than a 3 spot.

15. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed but just 1 or 1 thick lip, they are big but not tooo big. The main issue with 3spots isnt that they get big its just their agressive disposition when they grow up. I have yet the oppertunity to keep chocolates, they are probably my next gourami choice if possible.

16. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Thank you all very much. You have presented some great ideas. It is def hard to decide

17. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I think i'm going the angelfish route. So what would be the best order to add the fish in?

18. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'd personally up the school of tetras first. Then maybe the cories, then add the other platy then the angel.

19. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

would it be bad to add the angel and platy first?

20. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

It could, you atleast should add the tetras first. Get there school up. If not they can get nippy with your new angel who will already be stressed which can cause even more aggression. I'd atleast start with the tetras. After that it doesn't matter AS much.