Stocking question - guide me

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi All,

have a stocking question - here is what i am thinking ...

# 1 male Platys
# 1 Blue Gourami ( read its best in 20 gallon tank)
# i Male Guppy

My tank size is 10 gallon tank and i am okay doing WC every week.

Thank you

Praveen

Attachments

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Beautiful tank!

Unfortunately a blue gourami is too big to go into a 10 gallon.

Your profile says you have zebra danios in there, is that still accurate? If so, how many and do you plan on keeping them? That will determine how many other fish you may be able to add.

-Lisa

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd say that is well over stocked. I'd go with just the 3 Platies. Perhaps you could have the Guppy as well. Leave out the Blue Gourami altogether. They get too big for a 10 gallon tank.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, I updated my profile and dont have any fish now ... okie i will leave Blue Gourami ...here is what i am thinking now .

# 3 Male Platys
# 1 Male Guppy
# 1 SUGGEST SOMETHING

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A beautiful nerite snail or a colony of dwarf shrimp like red cherries. . 3 platys in a 10 gallon is about all that will fit, adding the guppy is pushing the limit IMO, but still doable if you keep on top of your water changes. Your male platys may fight, so have a back-up plan. FWIW, all the platys in my 20 gallon are male, three get along fine but the fourth got bullied so he had to move out to my 5 gallon. So you just never know.

-Lisa

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could always just stick with Guppies and get a few different variations. There are so many different colors and they tend to stay smaller, around 2". The only problem is the males usually are brighter colored and have the larger tail fins. If you keep more than one male, you could have aggression problems, especially in a 10 gallon tank.

Its so hard to decide on what fish to keep. I still have trouble leaving the LFS without any fish!

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah that is where the actual problem is as guppy breed so often its hard to maintain and i am not planning for any fry. So Can i go with 3 Female Platys and 1 Male guppy?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could but chances are the female platys will already be pregnant. My female Mickey mouse platy was, as was my silver lyretail Molly, and I suspect our now-deceased black Molly was too and she died in labor. And since the little buggers can store sperm for like 4-6 months you could be having fry for quite awhile. But you could also get lucky: my dalmation Molly has been with us two months just about and has never shown signs of pregnancy and I'm getting the same impression about our marble Molly.

-Lisa

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
one time fry its fine ... i will take that pain to clear them off from tank as my LFS store is ready to take them if they have babies. so first time i will have to take that risk. i like the platys very much as they are so colorful and hardy fish to watch.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have two platys....both are males. one is a mickey mouse, and the other a speckle red tail, i forget the name haha. mickey does sort of bother goofy, but i am hoping once they get out of the 10 gallon QT, and into the 20 gallon, it will be better. they are cute

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i will keep all females platys and see what happens ... i am glad my LFS is ready to take any fry ...so

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
unless you make an effort to keep the fry safe, chances are most wont survive anyhow. Unless there is very heavy plant cover or some other sort of barrier, most , if not all, will be eaten.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jetajockey,

if you look at my post it has the also ...please see and tell me if i am heavily planted and has lot of decorations.

thank you

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
what about chery barbs, you could do 5 males, or 1 female and 4 males. they are great fish to watch.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it's not likely any will survive in that, it really takes seriously heavy planting , like a giant moss ball covering a section of the tank, or something of that sort, to keep them safe.

Then again it just depends on how many adult fish you keep in there also. The window is small, after 3 or 4 weeks they are usually big enough to where the adults don't see them as a snack anymore.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
no one suggested me till now ... i am looking at it ... does they go well with 1 male guppy?

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You have 1 guppy in there now, I thought your tank was empty. Some say cherry barbs can be fin nippers, I have never had this problem. I think they would be ok.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank is empty right now ... dont have anything .. my wife like Red Blonde guppy alot ..she wants to have 1 ... whatever i keep i have to make sure they are compatible with Guppy.,

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i would go with 1 guppy and a few platys. If you add them all at once then you are going to have serious water quality issues because of the bioload. I suggest either fishless cycling or at the most have only one fish in there for several weeks while the tank is cycling.

If you have 3 platys and 1 guppy in there you would have to do daily water changes of 40-50% to keep them from dying, and even that might not help.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jetajockey,

My tank is already cycled and its now at reading 0,0,5. i want to give it few days going like that and doing water changes every alternate day and adding prime with water change.

so do you think if i add 2 platys and 1 guppy at once will my filter be able to take bioload and then later after 1 week i will add one more platy.

Please suggest.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads