Stocking Question For New Tank 90 Gallon Tank 

PhaseDMA

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to set up a community tank in my 90 gallon tank. I have already started.

So I have started with 3 blue gouramis.

I next plan on buying 6 albino cory fish. The reason for this is they also seem to be very hardy fish from what I have read, and they fit into my bottom dweller need. I plan on buying them after the tank has cycled, but I'm a bit worried I was a bit to cautious with the number of gouramis I bought (to few for a 90 gallon cycle?) and these fish seem again to be good cycling fish (of course goldfish are the best, but I don't want goldfish so that excludes them).

I then want to get 6 zebra danios. They furfill my mid/top desire, and again their hardy fish. I highly doubt cycling would be a issue at this point, but you can never be to careful.

I then want to get 4 swordtail. 1 male, and 3 females.

I then want to get 2 betta fish. 1 male and one female.

I then want to get 6 cardinal tetras. These fish are my favorite, and really the grand finale. The idea is to put the most hardy fish in first and the lest in last. I suspect I will buy these fish from the expensive place, because the color of their fish is absurd (in a good way). Problem is for the most part the great color their fish have does not justify the extra cost (although as a side note they have the best prices for adult Oscars, and probably the best cared for adults by leaps and bounds).

With all these fish I should have 8 free gallons left over based on adult sizes (I think I have used generally max adult sizes). I have no plans to throw in fish beyond the ones listed. Does "8 free gallons" seem like a decent number? Theoretically this tank should take about 8-10 weeks to get all the fish in (1 month to cycle then about 1 week for each fish to acclimate). Does these time frames seem right?

I then plan on having a PH of 7. Attempt to keep the water hardness at 10 (Not quite positive on this part do to the cardinal tetras). A temp of 75 F.

Currently I'm using Fishlore.com to get all this data, because they seem to have optimistic numbers (like most sites seem to say the blue gouramis will only hit 4 inches but they say 6 - Clearly using larger numbers to plan out the tank is better for the well being of the tank). They also seem to have a all the fish I have attempted to look up on their site which makes it very easy to compare stats (since all the stats are laid out the same). Any view points on fishlore.com? They also have forums which would be great if there is nothing bad to be said about the site.

I also would like to get a "shark" into the tank - A rainbow shark, or a bala shark is what I have seen as options. Sadly though they really from my research are not options due to either size or being aggressive. Ideas? I don't want to really use those extra 8 gallons so cutting a few fish in each grouping might be needed.... IDK...

The only real things I'm positive I want is the gouramis (since I already have them), and the cardinal tetras. Everything else as far as I'm concerned I have no attachment to so minor or major over hauls are welcome.

I really really really want this to be set up in the best way possible. All these fish are labeled as "easy" to take care of fish, and I'm trying to put as much thought into this tank as possible.

Oh... One last question. Any thoughts are using *NO* substrate? My thoughts are the tank would become much easier to keep clean both because I could see all the poo and suck it up directly, and it would eliminate the entire air pockets of toxin threat. Again... The best possible experience for these fish is what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to get out of maintenance on the tank. Rather I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of as many issues from the start as possible.

I think you can see even if I have a glaring ove

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum!

Do you know the sexes of the gouramis?

Mixing bettas and gouramis is a cardinal sin in fishkeeping. They are not compatible at all.

The numbers of corys and tetras and all are good to start with. You can always add more later.

You're gouramis will grow to 5-6 inches.

There is nothing wrong with not having a substrate. HOWEVER, the tank will look better with. I suggest sand - it's intimidating, but very easy to maintain and your fish will love it. Pool filter sand (PFS) is cheap and the best option.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

A lot of other members have had nipping problems with Zebra Danios, so use precaution in keeping those.

As for the male and female Betta, I'm not sure if they would be a problem since a 90 Gallon is pretty big.. but usually Male and Female Bettas should be kept separate.

I agree with Jaysee on the sand substrate. Your fish would appreciate it, especially your corys.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have to admit I didn't read your whole post. However, just the main things which I don't agree with from my skim read.

- I think you will soon find you will have to remove 2 of your gouramis, blue gouramis tend not to do well with their own kind, and can become very aggresive.

- No to the male and female betta, bettas shouldn't be kept in a community tank and shouldnt be housed together permanently, so this is a definite no no.

Good luck

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!

I'm with everyone else on the betta issue.
Please skip the male and female betta. They really would be happier in a smaller tank and separated.

Have fun stocking!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Another consideration with the bettas is the depth of the tank. A 90 is deep for bettas, which need to be able to get to the top to breathe fairly easily.

Welcome to fishlore.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas can get oxygen from the water like regular fish, so why is it such a concern that they can get to the surface to breath? Is the betta going to exhaust itself swimming 20 inches up? Is it going to get lost?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
Bettas can get oxygen from the water like regular fish, so why is it such a concern that they can get to the surface to breath? Is the betta going to exhaust itself swimming 20 inches up? Is it going to get lost?
I've read it's a concern for when they get older.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu said:
I've read it's a concern for when they get older.
So then get it a 5 gallon retirement home when the time comes

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee said:
It can, but it still needs to get up for air. No doubt a betta can survive in a 90 gallon, thriving is a different matter.
As you know the wrong size tank and tank mates can cause undo stress on a fish.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
So then get it a 5 gallon retirement home when the time comes
Oh, good point. Like Florida for fish.

To the OP: I think you can have more than 6 cories in a 90 gallon tank. I'd made my eventual goal more than 6, maybe double that, depending on what else you are going to have that's a bottom-dweller.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Meenu said:
Oh, good point. Like Florida for fish.

To the OP: I think you can have more than 6 cories in a 90 gallon tank. I'd made my eventual goal more than 6, maybe double that, depending on what else you are going to have that's a bottom-dweller.
OMG.. 12 Corys.. My dream.. T___T

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I doubt many have kept a betta in such a large tank.

No doubt choosing compatible fish is essential to a healthy tank - my question was about the tank size being an issue.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Let's not forget this thread is about helping PhaseDMA stocking his tank.

Rather than hi-jack this thread a new one can be started for a debate over betta tank size.

PhaseDMA

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would say that the gouramis are all females which I've read should be fine, and that multiple males is the real issue. They are not bothering each other at this point, but of course I know full well then when a fish matures its outlook on the rest of the tank potentially changes too.

I don't know how I over looked the male and female issue. I was aware of this issue, but I forgot. I suppose my excuse was when I first read about it I had made the decision I would never own a better so it was of no concern to remember.

Bettas not being able to get to the top of the tank? That does a bit far fetched. I mean what do they do in the wild? 2 feet deep really doesn't seem that deep even for most streams. I would be interested to hear more insight on this subject.

Would one male better in the tank be okay? I don't think I would want to get just a female for obvious reasons, but even that is a option - After all I don't mind bucking trends lol.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas and gouramis don't get along.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
PhaseDMA said:
After all I don't mind bucking trends lol.
It's not a trend, please think about a fish's needs over your own wants.
A betta is called a fighting fish for a reason.
Most do not make good community fish especially with Gouramis.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PhaseDMA said:
Bettas not being able to get to the top of the tank? That does a bit far fetched. I mean what do they do in the wild? 2 feet deep really doesn't seem that deep even for most streams. I would be interested to hear more insight on this subject.
As far as I know, bettas don't live in streams. They live in shallow rice paddies in Asia.

We were asked not to hijack your thread with that discussion, so Jaysee moved the discussion over here:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Though technically it wasn't off topic because the OP put bettas on the table and revisitted the issue.

PhaseDMA

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lucy said:
It's not a trend, please think about a fish's needs over your own wants.
A betta is called a fighting fish for a reason.
Most do not make good community fish especially with Gouramis.
That's not what I meant. I thought perhaps a female better would be acceptable instead of having any male betta in the tank. Clearly from all of the input bettas in this tank won't work, which I'm fine with.

Like I said in my first post I'm looking for input. If I didn't want input, or if I was going to flat out ignore input given I would have never posted here in the first place

Meenu - I don't believe I'm capable of hijacking my own thread - However with that said I don't mind continuing any discussion in another thread. Believe it or not I did not see Lucy's post until after I made my second post.

As far as the zebra danios and their nipping of fins - I don't want that, so as I see it I'm down two sets of fish (the danios, and bettas). Any suggestions of two sets of fish that would play nice with the rest of the fish I want to get?

I want my tank to be a fun loving family environment :p Any fish with mean reputations need not apply lol.

BTW. I appreciate all the quick feedback. I wish I had started posting here a long time ago.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads