20 Gallon Tank Stocking Question for 6G tanks.

leekinks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello Fishlore,

My prior posts had indicated to me that my Fluval edge was overstocked, and I did lose a few fish:-[ i have since returned the remaining fish back to my LFS as i dont want any more to die, they were in good health and i was ready to admit defeat instead of carrying on.

So, I now have an empty tank which I drained and it is sat on a stand looking bare and dull. I drained the tank so i could start again from the top with the fishless cycle, i figure the more i do it the betta(bad joke) i'll get, But first im going to wash all the gravel and fake plants and decks i have in there.

And while the cycle is rolling again i can research what to stock in the tank when its ready to go.

I will be using the API master test kit to monitor my water.

I will add tetra safe start into the tank to get things rolling.

Would it be wise to also add a biolocial kick start for myfilter bacteria??

RE Stocking:

I was thinking maybe Bettas, dwarf puffers and a small group of red cherry shrimp keeping stock down and keeping fish in a good and healty tank.
How many Dwarf puffers/ Bettas could i add?

Does this sound good for such a small tank and is there any scope for other fish? I like neon tetra but dont think the fluval edge will be the best place for them.

Thanks in advance to my fish brothers and sisters

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you mean by biological kick start' using cycled filter media, then yes it will help greatly. Using TSS helps also but remember that it's intended for fish-in cycling.

If you go betta, then you only want 1

If you go dwarf puffer, you only want 1, MAYBE 2 but don't be shocked if you have to return one. if you go with puffers you won't be able to keep shrimp or snails in there.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
good advise above! ;D

If you get a female betta, I'm pretty sure that you could have 2... as for the puffer, only one. They can be VERY aggressive >

DO NOT use any biological kick start other than TSS... they will actually BREAK your cycle...

Actually,you could quite easily keep a school of 4-5 neons! but, in my opinion, I like fish with individual character...

Just hang in there!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on choosing the fishless cycle!

I'd be worried about the puffer and betta eating the shrimp, especially the puffer.

A lot of people here don't recommend putting fish in a tank as small as 6g but here's a list of nano fish that could go in a small tank.

I personally have looked at sparkling gouramis, chili rasboras, dwarf emerald rasboras, ember tetras, CPDs, dwarf livebearers and Dario Dario. But a refugee platy has now moved in to my 5g so no teeny fish for me.

-Lisa

leekinks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some great advice cheers...so i think the puffer is off the list. Rasboras seem like a good start but i also like the look of Zebra Danios...but am finding mixed info on if they are a good noobie fish and that they like some room to zip about...Its dam hard with a small tank but i cant get a bigger one due to lack of space ina small flat.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning leekinks,

If you decide to house a betta then I suggest having only 1 regardless of whether or not it's male or female. These fish do not appreciate tank mates. I've seen too many horror stories of nipped fins and even death by housing these fish together. They do not make good community fish. It will be much happier on its own.
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-archive/2218-welcome-betta-care-guide-please-read-first.html
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

Personally I suggest the same for Puffers. I don't think 6g is large enough to house more than one. Territory could be an issue. I suggest that Puffers also be a species only tank and only 1 per tank, heavily planted.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/general-guide-to-puffer-care.33066/

Here is a link to information on Tetra Safe Start. Follow the directions precisely.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Best wishes!
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom