Stocking Question for 37 Gallon

1. YoungClayB Member Member

Hi everyone. I have a 37 gallon tank that I have had set up and cycled for about a month now. I've gone round and round with various stocking ideas but I think I finally have a combo that I want to get some opinions on.

The tank currently has the following:
    - 5 Peppered Cories
    - 1 Rubber Lipped Pleco
    - 5 Baby Platys (about a month old)

Thinking of adding the following:
    - 2 German Blue Rams
    - 8 Harlequin Rasboras

I was originally thinking about getting an Angel instead of the GBRs, but the more I read about Angels, the less they appeal to me. They dont have a reputation for having much personality and tend to eat other fish :O

I also have a cycled 10 gallon tank that I am currently using as a hospital/QT tank...so once I am stable with this stock, I may move a couple of the platys over to that tank - not sure yet though.

I went to AqAdvisor and entered the stock listed above and it says:
    Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
    => 64.4 - 80.6F: Peppered Cory
    => 71.6 - 75.2F: Rubberlip Pleco
    => 78.8 - 86F: German Blue Ram
    => 71.6 - 77F: Harlequin Rasbora
    => 64.4 - 77F: Platy

Should I be concerned about this? I currently keep my temp at a steady 78 F

Also, would it be dangerous to my other fish to get a male/female pair of GBRs? Or should I stick to 2 females?

I look forward to hearing your responses. Fish keeping is so much fun. :)

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, all your temp ranges overlap except the rubberlip and really, the rubberlip can handle slightly higher temps.

As for the rams...none of the fish you have will be bothered if the ones you have pair off. Just make sure you have plenty of hiding places.

3. YoungClayB Member Member

Good to hear. I should have mentioned in my original post that I dont have any live plants (all artificial - for now anyways)...and I think I have plenty of hiding places, but thats relative I suppose....here is a pic of my current decor. Please let me know if you think this would be suitable for the GBRs.

[​IMG]

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

GBRs, in my experience, prefer heavily-planted tanks. I'm sure a pair could live in a non-planted tank, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd be happy. Not trying to discourage you, just telling you what I've found.

Also, you do have natural driftwood for your pleco, yes? It aids in their digestion, so is considered necessary for their keeping.

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have or have had all the fish on your list except the rubber lip pleco, I keep/ kept them all at 78*. My angles have loads of personality, and any fish pretty much will eat another fish that fits in their mouth. That said, none of the fish you chose should pose a problem with a angel.( just pointing this out). I have platies, harelqiun rasboras and panda cories( smaller then peppered) with my angels.

Ok, all that aside I think your stocking list looks good, I would just add 2 more cories. (Don't ask me why, I have a thing for keeping them in groups of 7) 5 is a bit small of a school.

6. YoungClayB Member Member

Yep, I've definitely got the driftwood covered. Are you able to see the picture I posted? Is there a such thing as creating happiness through a heavily "artificially" planted tank :)

7. YoungClayB Member Member

Awesome. I love my cories. They are hilarious. You should have seen my cat watching them the night I got them.

8. YoungClayB Member Member

Oh...I more question. Will the GBRs eat my baby platys? Just wondering if I could go ahead and add them or if I need to wait until the platys are a little bigger.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

GBRs are supposed to better in water over 80. I think an apisto pair would be a better match, if the temp is important.

10. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Thought that piece of DW was fake. :p

11. YoungClayB Member Member

Thanks Jaysee. You've got me looking at a pair of Double Full Red Cockatoo. Cichlids. Dang they are expensive though.

12. fighter55 Member Member

Basically any fish will eat fry if it can fit in its mouth. If you want the fry to survive, you should get more plants to hide in(preferably floating) or keep them in another tank(like the ten you said you have)

13. YoungClayB Member Member

Thanks. The 10 is currently serving as my QT with 6 harlequin rasboras at the moment. Once I move them into the tank, I'll probably get the apistos and quarantine them for a little while. Once they go into the main tank, the fry will either be big enough at that point or else I'll move them back to the 10 gallon.

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

There are LOTS of species of apistos. Borellis are my favorites.

15. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Have to agree there - Borelli's are awesome (I had a pair for a while, I think my tank wasn't established enough at the time though and lost them)

The pair I had were bottom dwellers, and didn't want to come to the surface, so pellets were the best bet for feeding.

16. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I really liked my orange flash cockatoos, right now we are eyeballing a pair of apistogramma agasazzi tefe pearl blue.

17. YoungClayB Member Member

Well, I am officially an apisto owner!!!

I got lucky and found a fish store in Charlotte that randomly gets apistos from a local breeder. When I called, they said that the ones they had were A. agassizi, but to my surprise, they were cockatoos!!! Not sure yet whether they are orange flash or double red, but they are beautiful. 1 male and 1 female. I'll post some pics later tonight.

Jaysee, thanks again for the suggestion!!!

18. YoungClayB Member Member

ok. Sorry for taking so long to come back to this thread and post a few pics of my new apistos. Shortly after my last post, I realized that my male apisto had "ick"...so I had to move him to QT and get him patched up before he agreed to let me take any glamour shots of him.

My female in the 37 gallon tank:
    [​IMG]

My male still in the 10 gallon QT:
    [​IMG]

For more information on my battle with the ick and some pics of "my boy" with the ick on him, check out my other thread here: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...pair-cacatouides-one-has-ick.html#post1300515

19. YoungClayB Member Member

So, my current stock for the 37 gallon is:

1 Rubberlip Pleco
    4 Peppered Cories (1 died during a mini cycle)
    6 Harlequin Rasboras
    2 Platy Fry - about 6 weeks old (the 3 smallest fry got eaten when I put the female apisto in the tank)
    1 female Apistogramma Cacatouides
    1 male Apistogramma Cacatouides (currently in QT, but will be moved to the 37 soon)

So, my question is: Am I done? When I look at the tank, it just looks so empty - especially in the upper part of the tank. Would it be ok to add an angelfish to my current stock? I dont think that an angel would overstock my tank from a space perspective, but I am not sure about from a bioload perspective.

For reference, I have settled into a PWC schedule of 20% every 4-5 days.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm glad you like them!