Stocking Question for 36 Gallon Tank

LheaMac

Hello! First post here.

I am relatively new to the fish keeping hobby. I have a 36 gallon planted tank.

it is currently stocked with; 5 zebra danios, 6 ember tetra, 8 neon tetra, and 1 male dwarf gourami.
I also have pest snails, 3 larger snails, and 6 different plant species, including water spangles.

My first question is that I notice my tetras hang out a lot at the bottom of the tank and aren’t overly active. I havent seen any signs or symptoms of disease and am wondering if it has something to do with the set up of my tank. I’m wondering if this is just too large of a tank for these species? My gourami does not show any aggression towards the others.

Secondly, I do want to add some more fish if possible, especially because the tetras spend most of the time hiding in the plants towards the bottom and back of the tank. I was thinking of getting some female dwarf gouramis but then I was reading that they can die of exhaustion when in a tank with a male. Suggestions?

Thirdly, I do want to continue to add some more plants as well to replace the two fake plants I still have on the right side of the tank. Suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 23

St3v3

Certain species of tetras do tend to swim along the bottom.I wouldn't be to worried.As for other fish It got me wondering if you got anything specific in mind? Exaple bottom feeders, schooling fish etc

Upvote 0

stonecrabber

You could try some java ferns attached to your top or 'legs' of your driftwood. They're pretty easy plant to grow.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum.
  • I'd add a few more of the ember tetras. With a larger group they may feel more secure, and will be more active.
  • I wouldn't recommend adding more dwarf gouramis, for several reasons. For just one, I don't know where you live, but they're difficult to find in the US.
  • You have quite a few choices for the plants. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest an Amazon sword for the right side, and maybe add some vallisneria and/or bacopa along the back.

Upvote 0

LheaMac

I really want something that’s going to stay mid to top of the tank. Maybe something that will be a little larger as well. I feel I have a lot of smaller fish for the size of my tank!
Certain species of tetras do tend to swim along the bottom.I wouldn't be to worried.As for other fish It got me wondering if you got anything specific in mind? Exaple bottom feeders, schooling fish etc
I really want something that’s going to stay mid to top of the tank. Maybe something that will be a little larger as well. I feel I have a lot of smaller fish for the size of my tank!

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Don't you already have the dwarf gourami for the top of the tank? I don't know what else to recommend for there if you want something in addition to it.

Opinions certainly differ, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I like a lot of smaller fish in a large tank. I know many new fish keepers want a lot of different kinds of fish, because I felt the same way, but the longer I keep fish the more I enjoy fewer kinds of fish in a tank, but with larger groups of each kind (assuming it's not fish that will attack others, like dwarf gouramis).

Upvote 0

emilymg

That fake plant on the right side resembles an amazon sword, so that would be a great option. You might want to add a root tab just because swords are heavy root feeders and in my experience do much better with root tabs. For along the right/backside maybe rotala or vals.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
w0walana
Replies
Views
Ouse
  • Question
Replies
Views