Stocking Question/advice

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am in the middle of cycling a 20 gallon (high) aquarium (fishless cycling)--it has a big piece of driftwood, some gobi rocks, and java fern--and am looking into options for my tank.

Option 1 (76 degree tank. My pH for tap is 7.5ish)
5-6 Furcata Rainbowfish
2-3 Endler Livebearer (Lime green)
5-6 Panda Cory Cats
1 Sunburst Platy
2 Apistogrammas (probably Borellii, but maybe cockatoo or Agassizii)

Option 2 (80 degree tank. pH 7.5)
5-6 Furcata Rainbowfish
2-3 Endler Livebearer (Lime green)
6 Tetras (Cardinal or Pristella X-ray)
2 German Blue Rams

On AQ Advisor, I'm at 83 percent stocking for either option.

Would either of these work, compatibility wise? Any recommendations with Apistogrammas? I've seen mixed views about dwarf cichlids with endlers...

I should note that 1) I know that some fish on these lists like lower pH, but I've heard that if you get them tank raised they can adapt just fine and 2) I'm not interested in breeding; only happy fish!

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have the answer to your question. But I am interested in the answer as I am thinking about furcatas in my new tanks. @TexasDomer will know. She is one of the stocking experts on here.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Aqadvisor isn't accurate, so I wouldn't use the stocking levels. Agree that your tap is fine - fish will adapt!

For option 1:

In a 20 gal high tank, I would go with either cories or dwarf cichlids, not both. The tank isn't really big enough.

Endlers need warmer temps than the pandas, so they're incompatible. I wouldn't keep a platy - platies can be bullies, and I would worry about him outcompeting the smaller Endlers and rainbows.

I'd put the rainbows in larger groups to help them feel more comfortable.

I'd go with Cockatoo or A. agassizii as they have more temperature overlap with the endlers than A. borellii does.

For option 2:

I would only go with one schooler, not two (so leave out the tetra if you want the rainbows).

So your options could look something like this:

Option 1: 77-78 F
8x Furcata rainbows
2-3x Male endlers
2x Apistogramma agassizii or A. cacatuoides

Option 2: 80 F
8x Furcata rainbows
2-3x Male endlers
2x German blue rams

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore!

Aqadvisor isn't accurate, so I wouldn't use the stocking levels. Agree that your tap is fine - fish will adapt!

For option 1:

In a 20 gal high tank, I would go with either cories or dwarf cichlids, not both. The tank isn't really big enough.

Endlers need warmer temps than the pandas, so they're incompatible. I wouldn't keep a platy - platies can be bullies, and I would worry about him outcompeting the smaller Endlers and rainbows.

I'd go with Cockatoo or A. agassizii as they have more temperature overlap with the endlers than A. borellii does.

For option 2:

I would only go with one schooler, not two (so leave out the tetra if you want the rainbows).

8x Furcata rainbows
2-3x Male endlers

8x Furcata rainbows
2-3x Male endlers
2x German blue rams
Thanks! I'm thinking I'll go for (revised) option 2.

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore!

For option 1:

For option 2:

8x Furcata rainbows
2-3x Male endlers

8x Furcata rainbows
2-3x Male endlers
2x German blue rams

So my 20gal is doing well. I have 2 GBRs, 2 male endlers, 8 furcatas, and a mystery snail (along with some java fern, jungle Val, and bacopa). I was wondering if I have room for some Amano shrimp and, if so, how many I should get. I’m getting some algae problems, even though the snail and endlers eat a little bit of it. I hear Amano shrimp are good for eating algae. Thanks for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom