Stocking Q if ok to add to current stock 120 Gallon Tank

1. hollie526 Member Member

Hello Everyone,

I have a 120 gallon 60x18.5x25 tank and I want to move a few fish over to this tank and need advice if it would be ok to do so without stressing my tank(overloaded)
    My 120 gallon is running for over a year with a Rena XP4 and a turbo twist 12x.

Current in this tank are:
    6 Kuhuli Loaches
    10 Burmese Boarder(Polka Dot) Loaches
    5 Dojo Loaches (temp 76.5-77)
    6 Zebra Loaches
    2 Yoyo Loaches
    1 Mustard Spot Pleco (grows to aprox 4")
    3 Upsidedown Catfish ( synodontis nigriventris )

Would like to ad from one of my other tanks:
    1 Fully grown Bristle nose(Bushynose Pleco) 4"
    1 Clown fully grown 1.5-2"
    2 Yoyo Loaches

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Personally I wouldn't add anymore loaches and bottom feeders to that tank. I don't think you're overstocked over all but I think you are overstocked on the bottom level of the tank. Waht about adding some top swimmers. Like maybe a school of rainbows?

3. hollie526 Member Member

I forgot there are 3 Featherfin Rainbow fish in my 120 already. Reason I am asking is because I want to sell my 100 gallon tank and in there are the above fish I really want to keep (bristlenose, clown and 2 other Yoyos) thanks for all help

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think that you'd be okay for the yoyos I'm just not sure about the additional plecos. I have heard they can fight.

5. hollie526 Member Member

I was thinking that may be. My Big Bristlenose and Clown currently live together in my 100 and they seem fine don't bother each other. They ignore each other and do their own thing. Is it possible the Bristlenose and Mustard spot may ignore each other as well. Bristlenose is a front tank guy, while the Mustard hangs in the tree stumps and always on the back of the tank. Never seen him anywhere else.

6. hollie526 Member Member

If the Mustard and Bristlenose did fight would they hurt each other could one die?

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I've personally never seen plecos fight but I heard they can injure eachother enough to the point they both can die.

8. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I had this happen with 2 bristlenose males one attacked the other one I tryed to save it but the other one tore him up to bad. So I just kept that one but that was in a 36 inch tank so maybe in yours they may work but there is no guarantee they will.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My BN and rubberlip have zero interaction with each other. I wouldn't hesitate to put the clown pleco in the 90 with them. I'm not familiar with your pleco though, so maybe it will be different, but if it's smaller than the BN then it will likely back down. there's only one way to find out though :)

Since you already have yoyos in the tank, you might as well add two more. But honestly, you have A TON of bottom dwellers. That's an awful lot of loaches. I am getting angelicus (polkadot) and yoyo loaches for my 125 (72x18), and am only going to get 8 of each.

If you like it, that's all that matters. Have you thought about building a second level? You could take advantage of the height of the tank and make a second level and increase the square footage of the tank.

10. Squirtle =) Member Member

Id say you would be pushing the limits on the ground level if the tanks 18.5 wide its really pushing it 25 wide Id say it would be fine.

Loaches in my little experience are not angry bottom fish and from what I have gathered plecos do fight but it occurs more in large spices, if the tank has lots of hiding spots it should also be fine.

The idea for a second floor sounds really smart and would help a lot, I believe they make floating islands for turtles that work under water also using suction cups this way they can have a bit more free space.