Stocking (prefer NO fish) 40 Gallon Tank 

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, just got a 40 gal and once I can be sure the cycle is stable I would like to stock it up!

I already have 1 male betta and 4 ADFs. I would prefer no more fish, just more frogs and some shrimp.

I have never had shrimp, so I dont know what kind are the coolest, what kinds get along with other kinds or whatever.

If you know of some striking fish that are not agressive with small fins that would go with my betta then I would consider fish...but this tank will be heaven for my betta and I will not give that up for a few more fish that I dont really want.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kupcake said:
Ok, just got a 40 gal and once I can be sure the cycle is stable I would like to stock it up!

I already have 1 male betta and 4 ADFs. I would prefer no more fish, just more frogs and some shrimp.

I have never had shrimp, so I dont know what kind are the coolest, what kinds get along with other kinds or whatever.

If you know of some striking fish that are not agressive with small fins that would go with my betta then I would consider fish...but this tank will be heaven for my betta and I will not give that up for a few more fish that I dont really want.
So your male betta is going into the 40 with the froggies then? And you want to something other than fish... hmm... how about some snails?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ya, I have a dream of finding a Cana apple snail in CA (since its illegal to ship them over state lines in the US). But that has a slim chance of happening.

I might get one or two mystery/apple/p. bridgesii snails, I like bigger snails rather than the little nerites.

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I can help out here... prepare for infodump.

For snails, I'd suggest at least 1 apple snail. They get huge, and it would be neat watching it grow. You could also get mystery snails; they've got a few different colors, and they breed well. My mom had two in her tank, and they've laid about 10 eggsacs in the last month or so. Our lfs trades store credit for them, you could ask around when they start laying. There are also nerite snails, which need brackish water to breed so if you only want a couple it'll stay that way, and assassin snails, which will eat smaller snails and are good if you have a snail infestation.

For non-flashy fish, many people keep cories and oto cats in with bettas in 5 or 10 gallons, 40 would be a paradise for all. Cories are a bit of a bumbler, they come in a lot of colors and don't have much finnage to nip. There's also a Pygmy cory that stays even smaller, and swims more mid-level than the others. Otos are pretty cute, and will take care of any algae in your tank. I've also had success with Kuhli loaches, which are fun to watch wiggling around. A couple livebearers could provide an occasional snack for him, and if you wanted a particularly 'striking' fish you could consider a fancy pleco. There are dozens of colors out there, some personal favorites are the Gold Nugged and Leopard Frog.

For shrimp, there are three I've kept myself; Cherry, Ghost, and Amano. Sometimes they work with bettas, sometimes they don't, but I'm guessing that in a 40 they'll have a lot more places to hide than a 10, and if they're in sufficient numbers anything that's eaten will be replenished.

The Cherry shrimp is the smallest of them, and they tend to hide a lot, but they've got very strong colors and breed well. If you get a few (say, 5 or 10) they'd probably breed with no help from you, some babies would survive and others would make a high-protein snack for your boy. It's a very nice effect to have a whole plant covered in them, and in those numbers they make a very effective cleaning crew. They also come in several different color strains, which I believe are blue, green, yellow and white. You have to pick one color though, if you mix shrimp that are from the Neocaridina family, they'll crossbreed and revert to the wild coloring of dull blue-grey.

Amano or algae shrimp are the biggest, and would stand the best chance against your betta. Back when I shared a community tank with a roommate, she had three female bettas in my tank, and my amano shrimp made it through the other end. I like them because, even though when you usually see them crawling around, if they want to they can swim across the tank in a very quick, multi-legged arc. It was pretty neat to watch. Amano shrimp need brackish water for their babies to survive, so they won't be breeding unless you're willing to set up another tank.

Ghost shrimp have a completely different body shape to them than the other two. They're longer, with large protruding eyes, longer legs and whiskers. You can see what they've eaten and if they're carrying eggs. They'll also 'run' up the walls of the tank, which is entertaining to watch. I also had 3 ghost shrimp in with the bettas, and they lasted quite a while. I don't think it was even the fish that eventually did them in. I never managed to get mine to breed, but same as with the cherries some will live and some will feed your fish. If you wanted to help them out it would be easy enough to put them in a net breeder once you see they're carrying eggs. For all three shrimp, once you see the eggs in the female it means they've already been fertilized and are developing. The female will eventually 'drop' live shrimplets, just keep them in the trap till they're too big for your fish and you're in business.

Hope you had fun reading my wall o' text ^^; happy fishhunting!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks loach!! I really want to get alot of shrimp...haha, too bad I can only pick one color of the CS

I have alot of experience with mystery snails, I did a breeding project on them a couple years ago. I had over 50 in 3 tanks in my living room...lol *they were only snail tanks, nothing else*

Still holding hopes for a cana (they are apple snails that grow to be the size of a coke can or a baseball).

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think a crayfish could be really neat. The betta will probably stay at the top of the tank, out of reach of the cray, and the cray is a very neat non fish. maybe one like the Electric Blue Lobster.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads