Stocking pre-cycled 10 gallon

Passionfish

Hi guys, my betta recently passed away, and I have a 10 gallon I've been "feeding" for several days now and thinking of what to put in it. I have nothing in my head right now. I'm out of ideas. Could you guys give some input?

jkkgron2

Hi guys, my betta recently passed away, and I have a 10 gallon I've been "feeding" for several days now and thinking of what to put in it. I have nothing in my head right now. I'm out of ideas. Could you guys give some input?
How about 6 ember tetras and a peacock gudgeon?

Upvote 0

Passionfish

If your interested in breeding cichlids, maybe a pair of apistos or rams with some dither fish and small bottom feeders.
Actually, I am getting a pair of Apistos for a 29 gallon I have pre-cycled and waiting, and I have a pair of Bolivian rams in a 36 gallon bowfront. Lol!

Upvote 0

Otocinclus13

If you're not interested in another betta, you can look into a school of nano fish. There are lots of species of tetra and rasbora that will fit a school of 6-8 in a 10 gallon. My favorites are chili rasbora, espei rasbora, and green neon tetra. You could also do the same number of male endlers. Add in some colorful shrimp and plants and you have a great tank!

Upvote 0

Passionfish

If you're not interested in another betta, you can look into a school of nano fish. There are lots of species of tetra and rasbora that will fit a school of 6-8 in a 10 gallon. My favorites are chili rasbora, espei rasbora, and green neon tetra. You could also do the same number of male endlers. Add in some colorful shrimp and plants and you have a great tank!
I actually already have a 10 gallon planted tank that has about 7 endlers, and female betta(to control the population), about 6 cherry shrimp, and a kuhli loach. Lol.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

What exactly are you looking for? A school or several schools of small fish? 1 or 2 of a more personal fish? Bottom feeders? A mix of all 3?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Don't peacock gudgeons like to be housed with conspecifics?
Whoops, I forgot about that. Instead of one peacock gudgeon I would keep two with the tetras.

Upvote 0

Passionfish

What exactly are you looking for? A school or several schools of small fish? 1 or 2 of a more personal fish? Bottom feeders? A mix of all 3?
I'm kind of looking for 2 centerpiece fish(a pair of the same species) and maybe a nano fish school, but all I've found is Apistos and Rams, and I already have enough of those.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I'm kind of looking for 2 centerpiece fish(a pair of the same species) and maybe a nano fish school, but all I've found is Apistos and Rams, and I already have enough of those.
I would go with a pair of peacock gudgeons and then 6 CPDs or Ember tetras.

Upvote 0

Otocinclus13

It's a bit less common and you may have to special order them, but what about 3-4 scarlet badis? They're stunning red fish that would make a good "centerpiece," especially if you have lots of green plants for them to pop against. Plus I've heard that they have very interesting behavior. I've never kept them myself (although I do have an empty 5g, and now that Squirrel has settled in and is behaving himself...)

Upvote 0

Passionfish

I would go with a pair of peacock gudgeons and then 6 CPDs or Ember tetras.
That would be wonderful, but no site sells sexed peacock gudgeons. I have no way of knowing if I get 2 males, or 2 females until I receive them.
It's a bit less common and you may have to special order them, but what about 3-4 scarlet badis? They're stunning red fish that would make a good "centerpiece," especially if you have lots of green plants for them to pop against. Plus I've heard that they have very interesting behavior. I've never kept them myself (although I do have an empty 5g, and now that Squirrel has settled in and is behaving himself...)
Lol Aquatic arts have some black tiger badis on sale right now, which would be cool. Who is squirrel??

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

That would be wonderful, but no site sells sexed peacock gudgeons. I have no way of knowing if I get 2 males, or 2 females until I receive them.
Petco sells them, so you could try getting them from there?

Upvote 0

Passionfish

THEY DO!?!?!? I never knew that. Now I have to go check it out. Thanks jkkgron2!!!

Upvote 0

Otocinclus13

Lol Aquatic arts have some black tiger badis on sale right now, which would be cool. Who is squirrel??
Ooh, I've never seen those. Very unique! I would be tempted to get a few of those and pair them up with a few rocket killis, just for fun.

Squirrel is my community betta. I love the behavior of peaceful but curious betta in a community, but I had my backup 5g just in case. He's been in the community for a while and hasn't chased or nipped at a fish yet, so maybe it's time to consider other 5g options... (*quiet chanting in the background, "more fish! more fish! more fish!"*)

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

THEY DO!?!?!? I never knew that. Now I have to go check it out. Thanks jkkgron2!!!
You might need to ask them to special order them for you, but I know one of my petcos gets them in fairly often.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

I wouldn't trust that petco will always have the fish you want. They kind of take whatever their suppliers give them. I have never seen pecock gudgeon at my local petco, but a petco somewhere else could receive peacock gudgeon daily. You just have to get lucky with the season and the location of your local petco.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I wouldn't trust that petco will always have the fish you want. They kind of take whatever their suppliers give them. I have never seen pecock gudgeon at my local petco, but a petco somewhere else could receive peacock gudgeon daily. You just have to get lucky with the season and the location of your local petco.
That’s why I said you might need to ask them to special order the peacock gudgeons. Both Petcos near me have said they can order the peacock gudgeons, but it does depend on the location.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

That’s why I said you might need to ask them to special order the peacock gudgeons. Both Petcos near me have said they can order the peacock gudgeons, but it does depend on the location.
True, but then that could pose the same problem of not knowing whether your getting male or female.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

True, but then that could pose the same problem of not knowing whether your getting male or female.
Yeah, but then you could at least see them in person vs. ordering online.

Upvote 0

Passionfish

Yeah, but then you could at least see them in person vs. ordering online.
Is there not a way to determine the sex?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Males will develop a hump on their head, and they’re larger than the females. Females also have a thin black line on the edge of their fins, and while males can it’s less common. If you get two females it’s fine, just try to avoid two males.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Yes, males and females have slightly different body shapes, and males are usually a bit more colorful and grow a bit bigger. There might be a few other minor differences.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mouska
  • Question
Replies