Stocking Pleco And Maybe A Few Blue Gularis Killifish??

NineBreaker

Hey, so I have been really enjoying my 29G community tank, but would like a tank that takes it up a notch for me in terms of stocking, so I am starting a new 20G High.

I am really digging the green dragon BN pleco from select aquatics / others and hope to establish a good environment for one. In anticipation of doing this, I'd like to stock the tank while I wait to find one and was really interested in non-annual killifish as a possibility.

Currently my LFS only has blue gularis pairs, but as I understand these guys would get fairly territorial on the bottom correct? My research says they can get up to 5" and might be aggressive to a BN pleco due to their spawning habits. If so, my guess would be that they are not good tank mates. Rehoming them to my 29G wouldn't be possible (the fish in there would become killifish snacks).

Would another breed of killI work or should I consider different mates all together?

chromedome52

There are probably a number of species of Killifish that would work, but you are right, the Blue Gularis isn't one of them! Many Aphyosemion will stay higher in the water column, as will Epiplatys. The Fundulopanchax in general are bottom fish, so gardnerI or scheelI would also be likely to harass the Plecos, though being smaller fish they might not cause damage. I'd look at Aphyosemion striatum, australe, or bitaeniatum. The one commercially available Epiplatys is annulatus, the Clown Killie, but they are quite small and tend to be shy. There are many other species that are available from killifish breeders.

NineBreaker

There are probably a number of species of Killifish that would work, but you are right, the Blue Gularis isn't one of them! Many Aphyosemion will stay higher in the water column, as will Epiplatys. The Fundulopanchax in general are bottom fish, so gardnerI or scheelI would also be likely to harass the Plecos, though being smaller fish they might not cause damage. I'd look at Aphyosemion striatum, australe, or bitaeniatum. The one commercially available Epiplatys is annulatus, the Clown Killie, but they are quite small and tend to be shy. There are many other species that are available from killifish breeders.

Hmm... Thanks! I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but the pleco is what I'm most interested in having, so it is what it is... Sigh.

I'll look into the Clown Killie, but not harrasing a longfin BN pleco is #1 on the wants list ATM.

I'm not sure what else I'd put in there that'd be kind of interesting.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
GyokuJyn
Replies
Views
AmStatic
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies