Stocking plan. Ideas? 30 Gallon Tank

1. Dolphini Member Member

Hello everyone! New member here!
    I wanted your opinions on stocking options for a 30gal (30L x 22H x 12W) with an Emperor 280 filter and new heater. (I also threw in my Whisper 10i so I'll have something to help 'insta-cycle' my QT tank when I need it) I have it up and cycling right now. Here's my ideas so far, so input is much appreciated! Other stocking plans are also very welcome.

-1 angel
    -2 rams (color suggestion?)
    -1 dwarf gourami (probably flame, but neon or regular flavor are nice too)
    -5 cory cats of some type (suggestions?)
    and maybe:
    -4 platies

My other plan:
    -1 pearl or maybe blue gourami?
    -2 rams
    -6+ harly rasboras
    -1 dwarf gourami
    -5 cory cats or 1 bristlenose pleco

Here's a pic of the tank as of now.
    [​IMG]
    All decorations/plants are plastic or ceramic. The sand is inert of course.
    I will be adding 1 or 2 pieces of driftwood after they cure.

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

wow I love the way you did the plants and that driftwood decoration looks great! :;rocker

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Melloki. Your tank is beautiful. Best wishes for a speedy cycle! I'll let others give you stocking ideas. Welcome to Fish Lore. I hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Melloki!

You have two EXCELLENT stocking options listed. I'll have to go with option #1. As far as species of corys, pandas are a fav of mine along with false juliis.

Please keep us posted. Your tank looks great!

5. cwb141 Member Member

I like your 2nd list. The school of rasboras vs platies and a larger gourami vs angel.

6. Dolphini Member Member

Thanks for the compliments on the tank guys! I guess it's just my 'artistic eye' showing. ;)

Good to know that either of these lists is an option. Although after watching some youtube footage of them, I'm kind of leaning towards the pearl gouramis for setup #2. They're cute buggers! And I love the antennae on their bellies. The harly rasboras also seem to compliment their coloration.

I really like the look of the panda cories too! Then I can say I have pet pandas. :p

7. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore:;balloons

I Love your tank. I also like the first stocking option that you have mostly because I have the same thing in my 35 gallon with the exception of platies. I have bolivian rams and everyone gets along fine.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fl! i vote for option 1. i have bandit cories, corydora metae. very similar to pandas, but with a stripe across the eyes so they look like cat(fish) burglars ;)
    i like your lists a lot

9. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I also have pandas and they are really cool. Just make sure you acclimate them for at least 1 hour or more.

10. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Im gonna have to say plan 1 :)
    All of the fish will get along great and also, platies are an absolutly wonderful fish if you want a colourful tank!

11. clownloachy Initiate Member

wow! that tank is wonderfull! i like the tall piece of drift wood making the tank look even taller. i like plan 2, but add an angelfish, it will look great in the tall tank!:;toast

12. Dolphini Member Member

By the way, how do angelfish get along with harly rasboras? AqAdvisor said they'd be too big, thus eaten harlies. Same thing for tetras, although it doesn't say this with platies.

13. GMCMaxx Member Member

I have two angels with harlies and neon tetras. I don't think the angels are full grown yet, but they don't seem to notice the small fish.

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

the problems start when the angels get bigger... then you wake up and your little ones are gone... (insert jaws music here - or sting's every breath you take)

15. kelsangdol Member Member

I like the 1st one...mostly because of the platies. :;cr
    Is that a backdrop or are those real plants on the back of your tank?
    Very cool... :;perfect

16. Dolphini Member Member

Those are a plastic background/drop plants from Dr Fosters & Smith
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+20750+7356&pcatid=7356
    4 of the 20" lake ivy variety, and they're still a couple inches short! Had to lengthen the top anchor ties with plastic twist ties. ;)
    There's a little room behind them, so a small/skinny fish could maybe squeeze back there to hide.

Plus there's a standard black/blue backdrop tapped to the back. Helped offset the super bright sand when it was mostly empty, but now the decorations solve that problem. No fish glare please! :cool:

17. Dolphini Member Member

So today I went to fart around at 2 of our LFS, and one had some gorgeous platinum sailfin mollies! They almost looked like fishy diamonds! What do you think of mollies instead of platies in plan 1? They're very tempting. @_@

Same LFS also had an impressive stock of various size/color angels. Apparently they breed them since there was an empty tank labeled for such use, so this is probably where I'll get an angel if I go with that. Although the other LFS had a cleaner/nicer fish room, but less of a selection of angels. Both had harlies, which I love after seeing in person, even more than the platies. There were 2 small german blue rams as well, and an awesome male bristlenose pleco with some great whiskers!

Unfortunately, neither had pearl gouramis :( There is also a Petsmart 20min away that does have some nice looking tanks. I know they had a good selection of the dwarves. Not sure about pearls.