Stocking Pearl Gourami - 46g

Fleetfiend

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all!

I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank currently that has 1 Pearl Gourami (female), 1 common Pleco (about 8 inches) and the remnants of a skirt tetra school (4 of them) that are dying of what is likely old age (they are 5-6 years old and had a pretty high-stress early life). I'm planning to revitalize the tank by doing some aquascaping and getting some more stock.

My current plan is to get 2 more Pearls and a school of Rasboras after I make sure the tank is more heavily planted for them. Here's my main question:

If I get 10-12 Rasboras, will there be enough room for the 3 total Pearls to be comfy, particularly if it's comprised of 1 male and 2 females? I feel like this is probably enough space for them, but I worry that the male Pearl might get aggressive with them if by some miracle they start to breed or something. Would it be safer to just get 3 females? Or, alternatively, just stick with the 1 female that's already established in the tank? I'm planning to make sure the Rasboras arrive prior to introducing the other Pearls in any case, but I'm just nervous about potential issues and would love to hear opinions and experiences. I've seen that Rasboras are generally great tank mates for Pearls, but I'm just worried about the numbers.

Thanks!

AngelfishDude722

Reaction score
The Rasboras might be overwhelming to the pearls but in all honesty I think you will be fine assuming you have a good filter because all those fish are probably going to make a big mess. But one thing to note is that you will want some places for the pearls to hide in and also it might not be a good idea if you have a tall tank I think you will want a long tank for those Rasboras.

OP
Fleetfiend

Fleetfiend

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AngelfishDude722 said:
The Rasboras might be overwhelming to the pearls but in all honesty I think you will be fine assuming you have a good filter because all those fish are probably going to make a big mess. But one thing to note is that you will want some places for the pearls to hide in and also it might not be a good idea if you have a tall tank I think you will want a long tank for those Rasboras.
Thanks for the reply! The tank is definitely a bit tall, but not extremely so. And the hiding places is definitely why I'm wanting to expand the plant/hardscape cover before I even think about doing it.

Do you think keeping a smaller number of Rasboras would be a better idea? Or maybe letting the Pearls establish first?

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think in a 46 gallon you'd be fine with that school and the pearls.

I would get a male. The red throat is so pretty! Even though they might breed, I think the size of the tank would give each species enough room. I would just add some floating plants for the females to hide in.

New Threads