Stocking Order

1. m

mcronix Valued Member Member

My new 40g breeder is pretty much cycled. Going to give it a couple more days dosing with ammonia and making sure everything is settled and then will be adding my first fish!

The end goal is to have something like:
    12-15 neon tetras
    ~8 corydoras
    2 clown plecos
    amano shrimp
    1 pearl gourami

I was thinking of stocking in this order, do people agree this is the optimal way to do it?

Also am I OK to go and get 12 neons straight away given that I have a newly cycled tank? I know getting 6 and then another 6 may be better but I'd much rather add them in one go if possible!

Thanks for any input.

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

I'd say so. I tend to put my slightly more aggressive fish in last. I'm not sure if that's common practice or not but I find it helps limit aggression if the others are already comfortable in their tank.

3. OP
    OP
    m

That's what I was thinking with the Gourami, although I understand that one should be fine with the above stocking.

4. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Yeah, don't quote me on this but I think as far as gourami's go Pearls are some of the most peaceful and the least likely to pick on your other fishes.

About adding in the neons, I added ten in one go to my newly cycled tank and all went smoothly so you should be okay with 12. I think that some can be quite sensitive though so need to be carefully acclimated.

5. OP
    OP
    m

Awesome, glad your neons were ok. Will likely get some tomorrow if water tests stay good :)