Stocking Order

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mcronix, Jun 24, 2016.

1. m

mcronix Valued Member Member

My new 40g breeder is pretty much cycled. Going to give it a couple more days dosing with ammonia and making sure everything is settled and then will be adding my first fish!

The end goal is to have something like:
    12-15 neon tetras
    ~8 corydoras
    2 clown plecos
    amano shrimp
    1 pearl gourami

I was thinking of stocking in this order, do people agree this is the optimal way to do it?

Also am I OK to go and get 12 neons straight away given that I have a newly cycled tank? I know getting 6 and then another 6 may be better but I'd much rather add them in one go if possible!

Thanks for any input.

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

I'd say so. I tend to put my slightly more aggressive fish in last. I'm not sure if that's common practice or not but I find it helps limit aggression if the others are already comfortable in their tank.

3. OP
    OP
    m

That's what I was thinking with the Gourami, although I understand that one should be fine with the above stocking.

4. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Yeah, don't quote me on this but I think as far as gourami's go Pearls are some of the most peaceful and the least likely to pick on your other fishes.

About adding in the neons, I added ten in one go to my newly cycled tank and all went smoothly so you should be okay with 12. I think that some can be quite sensitive though so need to be carefully acclimated.

5. OP
    OP
    m

Awesome, glad your neons were ok. Will likely get some tomorrow if water tests stay good :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice