Status
Not open for further replies.

clovervalley

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
So I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while now. I have a 10 gallon tank that’s been running for 4-5 months with an angel and a dwarf gourami. I’m currently fishless cycling a 46g bowfront tank that Im eventually going to move my current fish in to. I’m using the pure ammonia addition method.

My question is, when my tank is cycled for 4ppm and I only add in the Angel and gourami, will I lose some of that cycle?

I also want to add in a bristle nose pleco and Corydoras. My options seem to be this:

1.) Add the angel and gourami to 46g, put the new fish in quarantine in 10g and possibly lose some bacteria in the 46g as the ammonia intake wouldn’t be enough

2.) Add all the new fish to the 46g as it’ll be cycled for that much load and leave the angel and dwarf gourami in their small 10g tank until I’m sure the new fish aren’t sick

3.) Add the new fish to the 46g as well as my Angel, keep the DG in the old 10g so I don’t lose both fish if something goes wrong

4.) just forgo the quarantine and add new and old fish to 46g

I trust my lfs, I’ve bought multiple fish from them with no problem. Of course, accidents happen and there might be a sick fish with no fault to the lfs. I’m playing with my options here as I don’t want to overload my tank or kill my current fish due to disease, but I know the angel needs to be in a bigger tank. I’d appreciate some insight!

M-Stokes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Option 1, just add some bottled bacteria like Tetra safe start to your tank and filter when you add new fish.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the filter on the 10g is cycled you can just transfer the fish and 1/2 the filter mediato the new tank and filter to give you an instant cycle. Then you have you 10g ready to use as a qt for whatever new fish you want to add without the hassle of a fishless cycle in the 46g.

clovervalley

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If the filter on the 10g is cycled you can just transfer the fish and 1/2 the filter mediato the new tank and filter to give you an instant cycle. Then you have you 10g ready to use as a qt for whatever new fish you want to add without the hassle of a fishless cycle in the 46g.
I’m not sure the 10g tank’s filter would immediately cycle the 46 gallon tank, only because of the large difference in water amount.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not sure the 10g tank’s filter would immediately cycle the 46 gallon tank, only because of the large difference in water amount.
Yes and no. The turnover will be low but the amount of water doesnt matter so much for such a short amount of time and low bioload.

The fishes bioload isnt going to magically become bigger in a new tank so your not going to need more bb thats in the small filter until you are getting more ammonia. Also adding some of the old media to the new filter you will increase how fast the bacteria gets established.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 66.7%

Top Bottom