Stocking Order For 29 Gal

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FLfishGal, Jun 23, 2018.

1. F

FLfishGal New Member Member

I am very hopeful that my new tank is finally almost cycled. I have spent the last few weeks changing my mind hundreds of times about stocking choices. One thing I’ve decided is that I need this tank to be successful so my husband won’t have any qualms about me getting a bigger tank down the road and I can have more options of fish I’ve ruled out for my 29 gallon! (The addiction is real!)
    I originally wanted neon tetras and harlequin Rasboras but I’ve decided it would be better to have 1 large school than 2 small ones. I would also like to add a Betta for variety since most other fish that I could add would be better in groups. After my plants are better developed, I want to add Red Cherry Shrimp. But that’s down the road. So my main question at this point is whether I should add neons first or the Betta. When I add neons, how many should I do at a time and how long should I wait before each addition of fish? Thank you!

2. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

Generally you want to add the least aggressive ones first, so I would say neons and they like a school of six or more

3. c

congotetra888 Valued Member Member

Not 100% sure but just putting it out there (others will hopefully clear this up more) but I think Bettas can be quite aggressive sometimes (depends on the idividual) maybe consider one or two honey gouramis or dwarf gouramis instead... Just an idea :)

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Bettas need warmer water than neons. I would do a dwarf gourami instead, they're not as aggressive anyway.

5. c

congotetra888 Valued Member Member

Phew I gave decent advice!

6. OP
    OP
    F

I plan on having 10 or more eventually. So do you think I should just start with 6? I know they don’t handle big changes well, so I was a little afraid of them being the first thing I add to a new tank but I also understand letting them get familiar with the tank before adding a Betta and letting the Betta be the new guy in the tank.

7. AJE

They need a fully cicled tank, if you are worried about hardiness, why don’t you get some cardinal tetras, I think they are prettier in schools than neon

8. Anders247

So you still want a betta even though they can be aggressive in communities? I strongly advise against it.

9. OP
    OP
    F

I originally wanted to do a dwarf gourami but felt like they would be happier with more than 1. So I thought about a male and 2 females. My LFS had some beautiful little ones last time I was in and I was convinced I had to have them in my tank. But I kept reading about disease. What are your thoughts on that?

I’m certainly willing to rethink the Betta. Everything I read indicated they were fine in a community tank unless the other fish had longer fins. So now I’m fully uncertain again!

I won’t add anything until the tank is fully cycled. I wanted my husband to have a say in fish choice to a certain degree and he really likes the neons over the cardinals. I could go either way. I have had them in the past with other fish and would have never added them first but if it’s going to pretty much be a neon tetra tank, I don’t have many options.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018
  10. AJE

It depends on the betta, I had a male bite off all but two of my guppies tails, but now I have two females and they don’t bother a thing.

If you got rid of all your past stocking plans you could do a neons and discuss tank

11. OP
    OP
    F

As I said to @Anders247 I originally wanted dwarf gourami but started worry about disease. Now I am rethinking it and spent a few minutes researching. One article I found made it sound like Honey Gourami don’t have problems with iridovirus like the Dwarf Gourami do. Obviously I haven’t had a lot of time to research yet, but do you know if this is true? I was also concerned about Dwarf Gourami because research said they prefer water temps between 77 and 82 and neons are better between 69 and 79 but that the lower range of that is better. It also said that Betta prefer 75 to 80 so I thought a 75 degree tank would work for both better than going warmer for the dwarf Gourami. You and others were quick to say Betta need warmer water than the neons, but then recommended Dwarf Gourami, so now I’m even more confused. It does look like honey Gourami can be in cooler water and won’t be aggressive like a Betta, so if I can determine I don’t need to worry about disease, maybe that’s the best route. Maybe?

12. OP
    OP
    F

If you got rid of all your past stocking plans you could do a neons and discuss tank[/QUOTE]
    I would love to do a larger tank with discus one day, but I think they’d quickly outgrow my current tank.

13. AJE

Oh yeah
    I would love to do a larger tank with discus one day, but I think they’d quickly outgrow my current tank.[/QUOTE]
    For some reason I read 59 instead of 29 I guess it is because I am pretty tiered

14. Anders247

Yes, honey gouramis are a great option. Extremely peaceful, and they can be in cooler water, yes.

15. OP
    OP
    F

Thank you - and everyone else - for all of the feedback. I’m definitely going with the Honey Gouramis along with the neon tetras. So back to my original question- what should I put in first?

16. Anders247

So you're doing a fishless cycle, by putting ammonia in? Whenever it's finished, you can put either species in first.

17. OP
    OP
    F

Yes, adding ammonia and I think it’s finished. Just waiting to see test results tonight after my last addition of ammonia last night. Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably decide what looks best at the LFS that day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice