10 Gallon Tank stocking options.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the proccess of slowly and methodically stocking my 10 gallon vertical tank.

I have some mopani wood, 1 honey gourami already and 2 fancy guppies.

I would really like some advice on how I could stock this bad boy and have the fish as comfortable as possible and not over stocked.

I would like a cory cat, but I know I need at least 2 so that would limit how many other mid-level fish I could have.

I would also simply enjoy more guppies, but I'm afraid I won't be able to have cory cats at the same time as I will overstock. They do swim at different levels, though so maybe it won't be as big of a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Pappy,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.
Thanks!
Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Regular size corys should be in larger tanks because they need to be in groups of at least 4. You could do Pygmy corys, and I believe they need to be in groups of at least 6.

Having the honey gourami is going to limit your options because of its size. I'd say you could add the Pygmy corys and call it a day.

I take swimming level into consideration when looking at stocking options but I put bioload over swimming level in a tank as small as a 10g. Swimming level-wise, adding more guppies and the corys would theoretically work but the reality is that the bioload of all those fish will be too high for a 10g.

-Lisa

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im the opposite of lisa LOL ....I can control bioload (lots more water changes) but cant control swim space

I think the gourami , some pygmies, and maybe 2 more guppies would be a nice tank....or get 3-4 neons instead of more guppies....

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not everyone wields a turkey baster, Shawnie.

And I'm used to everyone doing the opposite of what I do, I'm a bit of an oddball.

-Lisa

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I'll add more guppies, and some ghost shrimp (who contribute little to bioload).

What about female betta options?

Tetra (particularly blackskirt) options?

I'd love to get pygmy corys but they are incredibly hard for me to find around here and online can be expensive.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just noticed your OP says its a vertical tank, what are the dimensions? This is going to limit your bioload moreso than a standard 10g IMO

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's hit or miss with bettas, males and females. People here have had good experiences but there are many that have also had bad experiences keeping bettas in a community tank. Females are less likely to fight but always have a back-up plan.

You could do a school of 5 blackskirts, 5 guppies and the honey. You could do 7 tetras if you don't add any more guppies, I'd say.

Red cherry shrimp are hardier than ghost shrimp since most ghosts are used for feeders. You can get 12 for under $15 (shipping included) on Aquabid.

-Lisa

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
depending on the dimensions of the tank I might propose that you have room for maybe 1 or 2 small fish. It's only a 10g so space is kind of an issue, fish do better with horizontal than they do with vertical.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's hit or miss with bettas, males and females. People here have had good experiences but there are many that have also had bad experiences keeping bettas in a community tank. Females are less likely to fight but always have a back-up plan.

You could do a school of 5 blackskirts, 5 guppies and the honey. You could do 7 tetras if you don't add any more guppies, I'd say.

Red cherry shrimp are hardier than ghost shrimp since most ghosts are used for feeders. You can get 12 for under $15 (shipping included) on Aquabid.

-Lisa

I like the idea a lot, but doesn't the honey, 5 blackskirts, 5 guppies sound like a lot? both as far as space and bioload.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It depends on the dimensions of the tank. I must've missed the part about the tank being tall. If it's taller than it is wide, that would be too many. If it's wider than it is tall, I'd say it's pushing the limit and needs to be watched carefully but still doable. However, a smaller tetra like a flame or neon would be better in this situation than the larger black skirt, IMO.

-Lisa

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not married to any particular fish so any reccomendation are welcome. I'm sure there are some creative possibilities. I'd be happy with a honey and bunch of guppies if that is the best option for the tank inhabitants. Just exploring my options, though.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nice, I love bowfront tanks, I have a 33g corner model myself. Unfortunately with these type of tall tank you are somewhat limited in stocking amounts because of the lack of horizontal swim space.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mollies will be too big. Platy, as in one, maybe. I'm not recalling any readily-available barbs that are under 2.5". Celestial Pearl Danios are tiny little buggers, like under an inch, so you could have a school of them. Ember tetras are also that small. There are several microrasboras, but I'd say the tank is too small for harlequin rasboras.

Or you could add one or two more guppies, 12 dwarf shrimp, a really pretty nerite or tylomelonia snail and call it a day.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom