Stocking Options

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, I think i'm going to rehome both of my oscars as I realize that I probably will not be able to get another tank and I made the desicions prematurely to get another oscar.

I was wondering with my tank setup the way it is what would be a good setup for my 55 gal? Just looking for options. I will still have the 1' Pleco arky

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's a huge range of options really. Jack Dempsey, Sajica, Geophagus Balzanii, Severum & Salvini would all work as a single fish with the Pleco.

A pair of Keyholes, Firemouths, Angels, Port Acara or Jade Eyed Cichlid would probably work.

You could move right away from cichlids & go with some Rainbowfish, Congo Tetras, Giant Danios or some of the larger Barbs.

The options are almost endless. What would you like to have?

Last edited:

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry for the late reply. I would love to do something unusual and something that will not outgrow the tank as I do not know when I will be able to upgrade.

I will be off from work for the next two days ;D and would like to get something resolved by then if possible

Last edited:

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with Nutter's suggestions. None of them would outgrow the tank.

You could also set up an african cichlid tank, like Malawi Mbuna or something as well. 3 red zebras, 3 socolofi, 3 yellow labs, and 3 electric blue johanni would be an example. Lots of color, lots of action, no outgrowing of the tank

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For something really unusual you could try to find a Nandus (Nandus Nandus). They do like an aquarium with lots of plants though.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I took back the oscars rearranged the tank and got several cichilids, three came from a tank the petsmart referred to as "assorted". The three are orange, black and white striped and one is albino. I also got two yellow labs, and two acai. They all seem to be getting along and are all terrified of the pleco ;D

Posted pics of one of the labs, one of the acai, the albino, and the new aquarium setup

Attachments

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Planning on redoing it with the terra cota pots when they get bigger. Now i just have to decide what to do with my 20 tall as it now has a cycled filter running on it and has great readings. Any suggestions?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Planning on redoing it with the terra cota pots when they get bigger. Now i just have to decide what to do with my 20 tall as it now has a cycled filter running on it and has great readings. Any suggestions?
20 tall, huh? Hmmm, how about 5 rummynose tetras or celestial pearl danios, 5 cories, and a keyhole cichlid or 3-spot gourami as a centerpiece?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is probably a dumb question but are angelfish to big?
No questions are dumb.

In regards to the angelfish, it depends on who you ask. I personally wouldn't keep an angelfish in anything smaller than a 29g, but others will recommend a 20g for one.

If you decide on an angelfish, my best advice would be a few cories on the bottom and consider the tank stocked. However, that's JMHO.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm just not in to the really small fish, for whatever reason, and would love to do something unusual that will get big without overcrowding the tank (by big I mean 4-5" tops).

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A male Cryptoheros Sajica would work well or something along those lines.

Brian

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Got to looking around and found these

1 Baryancistrus demantoides-L200

2 Mesonauta guyanae- They get to roughly 4"

What do you think?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, you have great taste in plecos!

I couldn't find a lot of information on the Mesonauta guyanae, but from their natural location and everything, I think they should be fine. Hopefully, some of our other members can verify this. They're gorgeous fish!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the Pleco would be ok, just, not so sure about the Mesonauta though. I think that they would need to be treated the exact same way as thier cousin the Festivum, which would mean a 30gal tank minimum, lots of plants & some space for swimming. They are typically very shy & easily frightened so the tank would need to be in a quite spot in your house.

I like the Sajica idea but not sure if they would really go in a 20tall. The ones I had were very very active so I think they might need more swim space. Keyholes would work. A Badis species tank would be really good.

If a cold water tank is an option then some of the smaller Sunfish might work or perhaps soem Empire Gudgeon.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With the Mesonauta (they are all very close in both size and care) although most get to around 5" they are a big full 5". I wouldn't do them in a 20. Here is a pic of my pair of Mesonauta Festivus to give an idea.

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

They take up a lot of space, and are a bit skittish from time to time.

Brian

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow those are awesome, and yeah probably won't be doing them. Looking at the keyhole option. What do you guys think about convicts?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom