Stocking Options

1. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

So i had an outbreak of ICH due to a petco purchase. Its been about a month of natural treatment. No signs of ich on my fish and normal behavior resumed. I have 1 electric Blue Acara, 1 solitary pictus catfish (he didnt like the other pictus at the store?) and a BN pleco. Plus a colony of mts and 1 nerite snail. Seems empty? Any suggestions?

Edit: sorry! Duh! 36(actually holds 38) gallon bowfront. 30.5 inches long 21 high 15 at its front bow 13.5 at the sides. Sand substrate, kept around 80degrees currently. Im backing it down from the ich treatment slowly. It usually sits at 76-78.

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

what size tank?

3. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

I edited my post because i forgot to say haha sorry!

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd suggest a school of mid/top dwellers. Your eb acara may eventually outgrow your tank but will likely be fine for quite a while.

I think a school of lemon tetras would go really well with the blue on the eb acara. The pictus may get aggressive down the road and you may need to upgrade. Lots of folks keep them singly so it's not a huge deal but they can get a little aggressive when not kept in groups.

5. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

He (pictus) likes his current tankmates but he was kept alone due to aggression to his own kind. He also was the ich carrier.. the acara should max at 5-6 electrics dont get as big as the normal blue acaras we have kept for some reason. I had zebra danios but.. he made them snacks haha. I was thinking some sort of tetra school though but i fear they will be snacks. My BN does his own deal and no one messes with him. At the moment its a contently stocked tank other than the fact it basically looks empty lol!

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

lemon tetras are wide bodied so they should be ok. Diamonds might also be an option. As long as it's wide bodied.

Depending on the individual acara, their territory requirements may outgrow the tank, not the fish itself. If you start seeing aggression from him later in life, it may need a larger tank.

7. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

Ah! I see. He is pretty chill. His territory is my left filter and a big plant. The giant driftwood tree is catfish territory and the front half of my pirate ship is pleco zone. They seem to no mess with eachother. My acara is maybe 4 inches right now. Only aggression i ever saw was the massacre of the danios and thats just because hes a pig.. i mean he ate them whole.. it was kind of impressive.

Edit: it may be working because hes the only one who uses most the tank. The catfishes scoot the bottom and he is mid-top dwelling. So adding fish might cause the aggression you mention.

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Well if he ate them, it wasn't aggression. If he had killed them and left the bodies then maybe picked at them later then yeah that could be aggression. Likely, the fish were small enough that he considered them a meal..not necessarily aggression..which is a good thing. But his territory/aggression can change quickly.

9. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

Hes pretty chill. Call him big blue. He has set feeding times and he waits for food at the same spot every time. Probably one of the coolest fish ive had.

10. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

Another cichlid would be asking for aggression wouldnt it?

11. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah..i think another cichlid species would be pushing it.

12. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

If i wanted to try it, what would be my best chance?

13. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe a Bolivian ram or an apisto... But it would be a risk