Stocking options for a 20G tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbabs

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi There!

New here but I have had fish in the past although I don't remember putting this much thought into stocking but wanted to do it right this time even though I don't recall having problems before. I have been doing some research and have come up with a few different stocking options and wanted to get some opinions before moving forward.

Details about my tank:
No Plants
Auto heater at 78

I have definitely done a little switching out of fish based on lists I have seen (which is why I am asking for opinions)

Stocking options:

#1 -------

?# x tetras (of some sort)
5 x Black Skirt Tetras
2 x Dwarf Gouramis
5 x Pana Cory

6 x zebra danios
6 x lemon tetras
3 x platys
3 x pana corys
1 x 1 pygmy sucker catfish

6 x cardinal tetras
2 x Black Mollies
5 x black skirt tetras
?# x sword tails
?# x Kuhli Loach

2 x Dwarf Gouramis
5 x Dwarf Neon rainbow fish
5 x rummynose Tetra
4 x kuhli Loach

Or

another combo of cool colorful fish ??

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry to say but none of these combinations will work as... the tetras, loaches and cories are schooling fish and need to be in a group of 6+. In a 20g, the number of gouramis can only be 1, as two will be aggressive and fight with each other, being that they are territorial. In a 20g, you can only do 2 schools of fish and a centerpiece fish. Your best bet would be #1 without the other school of tetras, +1 cory and -1 gourami.

OP
C

cbabs

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Interesting... as some of these i got off fish sites as a good combo.. glad I'm asking.. any other ideas? very specifically....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That site seems very inaccurate. For instance, a red tailed shark gets way too big and aggressive for a 20 gallon.

Rogue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I will "third" everything that Dom said. I have been to that site as well. And it is very inaccurate.

OP
C

cbabs

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, thanks... do you all have any specific recommendations for a community of fish? the tank is set to 78 deg... I just want some pretty fish that are not too hard to take care of while I am learning before I see if I want to get something bigger down the line...

Rogue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What Dom suggested would work. A Dwarf Gourami as the centerpiece, a school of tetras, and a school of cories.

EDIT: I would avoid the fin nipping tetra species with the gourami.

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could do 6 harlequin rasboras - very pretty, peaceful, and easy to care for. Dwarf gourami, honey gourami, or thick-lipped gourami for a centerpiece, and 6 cory catfish for the lower level of your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.2%

Top Bottom