Stocking options for a 20G tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by cbabs, Aug 10, 2015.

1. cbabsNew MemberMember

Hi There!

New here but I have had fish in the past although I don't remember putting this much thought into stocking but wanted to do it right this time even though I don't recall having problems before. I have been doing some research and have come up with a few different stocking options and wanted to get some opinions before moving forward.

Details about my tank:
    No Plants
    Auto heater at 78

I have definitely done a little switching out of fish based on lists I have seen (which is why I am asking for opinions)

Stocking options:

#1 -------

?# x tetras (of some sort)
    5 x Black Skirt Tetras
    2 x Dwarf Gouramis
    5 x Pana Cory

6 x zebra danios
    6 x lemon tetras
    3 x platys
    3 x pana corys
    1 x 1 pygmy sucker catfish

6 x cardinal tetras
    2 x Black Mollies
    5 x black skirt tetras
    ?# x sword tails
    ?# x Kuhli Loach

2 x Dwarf Gouramis
    5 x Dwarf Neon rainbow fish
    5 x rummynose Tetra
    4 x kuhli Loach

Or

another combo of cool colorful fish :)??

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry to say but none of these combinations will work as... the tetras, loaches and cories are schooling fish and need to be in a group of 6+. In a 20g, the number of gouramis can only be 1, as two will be aggressive and fight with each other, being that they are territorial. In a 20g, you can only do 2 schools of fish and a centerpiece fish. Your best bet would be #1 without the other school of tetras, +1 cory and -1 gourami. :)

3. cbabsNew MemberMember

Interesting... as some of these i got off fish sites as a good combo.. glad I'm asking.. any other ideas? very specifically....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  4. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

That site seems very inaccurate. For instance, a red tailed shark gets way too big and aggressive for a 20 gallon.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with Dom90 on all points.... that site is very inaccurate.

6. RogueValued MemberMember

I will "third" everything that Dom said. I have been to that site as well. And it is very inaccurate.

7. cbabsNew MemberMember

Ok, thanks... do you all have any specific recommendations for a community of fish? the tank is set to 78 deg... I just want some pretty fish that are not too hard to take care of while I am learning before I see if I want to get something bigger down the line...

8. RogueValued MemberMember

What Dom suggested would work. A Dwarf Gourami as the centerpiece, a school of tetras, and a school of cories.

EDIT: I would avoid the fin nipping tetra species with the gourami.

9. JeffKWell Known MemberMember

You could do 6 harlequin rasboras - very pretty, peaceful, and easy to care for. Dwarf gourami, honey gourami, or thick-lipped gourami for a centerpiece, and 6 cory catfish for the lower level of your tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice