Stocking Options For 55g With Shrimp?

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I currently have a 10g tank with loads of red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and some amano shrimp, and I'm planning to upgrade to a 55g. I'm not really looking to have two tanks so the plan was to move all the shrimp to the 55, but I'm not sure if that would severely limit my stocking options or not since now that I have the space I'm interested in larger fish- what are some good options that won't kill off all my shrimp? Or am I better off selling all the shrimp/giving in and having two tanks? I plant my tanks fairly well so they'd have a decent ammount of places to hide but I'm not sure if thats enough or not.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I currently have a 10g tank with loads of red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and some amano shrimp, and I'm planning to upgrade to a 55g. I'm not really looking to have two tanks so the plan was to move all the shrimp to the 55, but I'm not sure if that would severely limit my stocking options or not since now that I have the space I'm interested in larger fish- what are some good options that won't kill off all my shrimp? Or am I better off selling all the shrimp/giving in and having two tanks? I plant my tanks fairly well so they'd have a decent ammount of places to hide but I'm not sure if thats enough or not.
Give in, give in, GIVE in, GIVE in, GIVE IN, GIVE IN!

Keep both tanks

LandLover

Reaction score
I've only ever seen shrimp kept with smaller fish like guppies and neon tetras. I threw some ghost shrimp in with my angelfish one time. They didn't make it to the next day unfortunately.

If it were me, set up the 55 gallon and gradually introduce the shrimp. Maybe cycle with ghost shrimp, then introduce some fish. If it goes well, add the other shrimp. If it doesn't, be prepared to keep two tanks.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For the best chance of success, keep nano fish with shrimp. So fish like otos (only fish that is 100% shrimp safe and will not predate on the babies), plecos, twig cats, cities, kuhlies (seem to be a hit or miss... mine never bother the adults cherries), micro rasboras, ember tetras, neons, guppies, endlers, spotted blue eyes (and blue eyes in general) to name a few.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom