Stocking options for 10 gallons

JackA99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anders247 said:
Celestial pearl danios, scarlet badis, peacock gudgeons, ruby tetras are some options....
Thanks I have thought about scarlet Badis I am just worried about there diet the same way with pea puffers. Peacock gudgeons may be neat will have to look into them.

Anyone have experience keeping peacock gudgeons with shrimp? I am getting mixed results in my research but I think they will be ok with adults which I currently have in this tank.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

JackA99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good to know. I may start with a few and if they start eating my shrimp I can move them if not I can get a few more. About how many would work in a 10 gallon?

From what I am seeing now if I go with the gudgeons I think there is a good chance they will eat my adult shrimp. Would take this chance but my shrimp have not been doing well recently and I can’t afford to lose any adults.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
4 is the max amount I'd do.

Milly

Reaction score
I used aquadvisor to plan out my ten gallon and was wondering if what I had in mind was going to be too much for a ten gallon and I don’t know anybody else in the fishkeeping hobby bc I’m a nEwB. Is one scarlet Badis, two female dwarf livebearers (also known as least killifish or mosquito fish), a male dwarf livebearer, and a red cherry shrimp too much for a ten gallon? I have a 20 gallon per hour filter and it will be a heavily planted aquarium. Thank you so much to anyone who can help me with this!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That doesn't sound overstocked to me, but I don't know how scarlet badis are with other fish. You are only doing one red cherry shrimp? I'd do more than that.

Milly

Reaction score
From what I’ve heard scarlet Badis can get territorial with each other but are good with most other fish. I guess since I have room I’ll add more shrimp, maybe I’ll try another type like African filter shrimp. Thanks for helping me out with this. Once my tank is cycled I just have to call all the fish stores near me and find out who has these fish!

Milly

Reaction score
Anders247 said:
That doesn't sound overstocked to me, but I don't know how scarlet badis are with other fish. You are only doing one red cherry shrimp? I'd do more than that.
From what I’ve heard scarlet Badis are territorial with each other but good with most other fish. I guess because I have room I’ll add more shrimp, maybe an African filter shrimp or something. Thanks!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore! You are welcome!

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey. I have a male betta and a male red wag platy in my 10gallon and I want to add more fish. Any recommendations for fish I could add to my stock?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AceFish said:
Hey. I have a male betta and a male red wag platy in my 10gallon and I want to add more fish. Any recommendations for fish I could add to my stock?
In a 10 gallon, I would only suggest a betta.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 5 cherry barbs in my 10 gallon that I originally had started out in a 5.5 gallon.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK. They get bigger than I think is OK for a 10 gallon and are active, so I would upgrade the tank for them in the future.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 5 Cherry barbs and a male pink tuxedo guppy in a 10 and all are doing great.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Atomicfish said:
I have 5 Cherry barbs and a male pink tuxedo guppy in a 10 and all are doing great.
Late reply, but yeah, they will survive in there, but it's not the best place to keep them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom