stocking options ?? 2 tanks Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by lucky strike 21, Dec 4, 2012.

1. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

55 gallon tank
    guppy grass
    2 male dwarf gouramis
    1 khuli loach
    1 molly
    2 platys
    4 black skirt tetras
    what fish can i add ? or am i overstocked tank has 2 aqueon 55 75 filters

150 gallon tank
    3 blood parrots
    1 pink kissing gourami
    1 jack Dempsey
    1 feather fin catfish
    what fish can i add in this tank i guess most fish in here are aggressive so suggestions are welcome tank has filstar canister filter and hob filter

40 gallon tank
    im thinking neon tetras suggestions are welcome

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

For the 55g I would up the school of kuhlis to 6-8, the tetras to a similar number if not a few more and see how you like it after you've done that. I'm not experienced with cichlid tanks so I'll leave that for someone else.

3. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

so is that all? thank you i was also wondering im thinking of doing a 40 gallon with just neon tetras how many can i get away with putting in a 40 gallon breeder tank

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Thats all for now, I would see how you like the tank activity/maintenance wise after the new additions and then consider others possibly.

Alot, I would say probably 20-30 comfortably.

5. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

no one has any suggestions of what to add to my 150?

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

for the 55 I would get 10 more kuhlis, 6 more tetras and a few more platys. Like matt said, I would wait after that before adding any additional species.

for the 150, how about a bichir? And maybe some silver dollars?

7. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

I notice you don't have suggestions on the 40g yet.
    I assume it is currently vacant?
    Well if you do neons..... wow, you could have a LOT of neon tetras.
    If you go that route I'd do two giant schools. One of normal neons and one of black neons.
    The distinct coloring differences would look really cool, imho.

I however have this new love for Roseline Shark/Torpeo Barbs/Dension's Barbs (they go by numerous names). You could get a school of 5 or 6. They are schoolers and super active once they get used to their new home. They get decent sized but I think their minimum is a 40g, so it's an option. :) I've seen Petsmart's carry them. Kinda pricey compaired to other fish. FYI.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My denison barbs are 6 inches long and very active - I would not recommend them for less than a 6 foot tank.

9. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

can i do African cichlids ?silver dollars i have seen but not my type of fish also i already have a feather fin catfish wont they fight?

i have been wanting to do neons for a long time yeah the 40 gallon is vacant what other fish could i put to make the neons school?

yeah i read about barbs id rather get neons though i would love to see your tank :;toast

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice