Stocking Opinions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lefky, Apr 19, 2019.

1. LefkyValued MemberMember

I am currently restocking my 20g tank. I have had it for a little over a month with fish in it. The water is a milky white from the bacterial bloom, which I hope will go away soon, and I have started getting brown algae on my gravel. I currently have 1 angelfish, 1 hatchetfish (rest sadly died), 4 neon tetras and 4 emerald corys. I am thinking of rehoming most of these fish except the catfish to: 2 German Blue Ram (male female pair), 4 Emerald Corys, 4 Julii corys, and 8 Cardinal Tetras. My water is: 0 nitrates and nitrites, ~7.5PH, and water temp is around 78-82F. I am adding many plants and in the process of growing them. Anything else I should add/change?

Attached Files:

2. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

I'd just do one school of cories rather than two and to me that would be a highly stocked tank. Prepare to test regularly and do frequent and large water changes.

I would also recommend waiting until your tank has finished cycling to make any stocking changes.

3. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Be mindful of the Angels and Rams...not sure if they'd start to get all ornery or not together...

4. LefkyValued MemberMember

I plan on rehousing the hatchet angel and neons.

5. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember

What is your ammonia level. If you have 0 nitrates your tank is not cycled. The fish you have are not the best to do an in fish cycle. Make sure you condition your water every day. Also be prepared to do water changes if your ammonia gets to 1 or over.

6. LefkyValued MemberMember

I use test strips so I think the nitrates are a bit higher, I am getting the masterkit soon; the tank is a cloudy white from the bacterial bloom which I dont know much about.

7. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember

if you don't know your ammonia level it will be hard for us to help you.

8. LefkyValued MemberMember

I will purchase the master test kit when I come back from vacation.

9. LefkyValued MemberMember

I have been really struggling to find fish to keep in my 20g long freshwater tank. I have gravel substrate and adding live plants very soon. The only problem with my tank is the water temp and the PH. The temp is always around 79-86F max (rarely that high) and my PH is around 7.5-7.8. I have made multiple lists of fish that I wanted but either they arent compatible or don't like the hard water. Some fish I was really looking into were: Paradise fish, gouramis and GBR's. What is everyones suggestions for top,middle and bottom dwellers that will thrive in my tank? (I am not wanting to get into breeding so I am ok with fish eating the eggs of another one)

10. FahnFishlore VIPMember

As long as your water parameters are constant things like GH and KH usually don't matter. Chasing numbers leads to frustration and dead fish.

You could do GBRs, Rummynose Tetras and Sterbai Corydoras. I've kept all these fish at a pH of 7.6 with no issues.

11. LefkyValued MemberMember

Do you think a pair of GBR’s would work? Or would I have 2 females or just 1 male or female?

12. FahnFishlore VIPMember

You could probably do 2 females and a male

13. LefkyValued MemberMember

Would 3 GBR’s, 6-8 rummynose, and 6 corys be ok in the tank? I plan on adding quit a few plants (below, may not add all just 1 at a time)

Attached Files:

14. FahnFishlore VIPMember

That stocking will be just fine.

15. LefkyValued MemberMember

Perfect thank you!

I have been doing a lot of research on plants and especially on fish. It is difficult to find warm freshwater fish for 82F. I was thinking the fish below would work out? What do you all think?

Attached Files:

16. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

You should just get a pair of a gbr, but other than that it sounds good imo

17. LefkyValued MemberMember

I was looking into 2 female and 1 male but I will try to find a pair at a store or just get 2 and hope. Would the corys eat the eggs if they have any?

18. roXenNew MemberMember

19. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Corys would likely eat the eggs

20. LefkyValued MemberMember

Alright I think I may go with this setup! Would the tank have to be heavily planted? I got a list of plants.

My tank will most likely be a bit hotter than 82 probably more towards 84-85F. Very hard to cool it down when it is 100F outside haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2019