Stocking opinions wanted!

1. Stephinpdx Initiate Member

I'm upgrading from a 10-gallon tank that I was overstocking, and now setting up a 30-gallon (that I found for free on the street!)

I'd love a community tank, and I'm really into platies. Right now I have:
    2 male platies
    3 female platies
    4 guppies (would love to get rid of these but my 3-year-old is attached to them)
    2 red cherry shrimp 1m 1f

What do you think? I'm debating about keeping the 10-gallon also as a shrimp/invertebrate tank but not sure I'm up for both...

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

More cherry shrimp,you will need about 12 if you want a colony.you should also get a pleco like a bushynose pleco.a small school of tetras and a gourami should stock the tank.if you do a invert tank you can put the guppies in there and with the cherry shrimp they will do better in there.

sparkling gourami's will be the best.they won't bother your shrimp to much and you can have a couple of them.

3. Stephinpdx Initiate Member

Alright I think I'm getting closer to a stocking list but would love thoughts on numbers.

Platys (already have 3 female 2 male, I'd love a few more females to minimize the harassment)
    Gourami(s)
    Corys
    BNP
    Red cherry shrimp (have 2 now) thinking more like a dozen as recommended
    It also turns out I have pond snails which I'm ok with for now. Still thinking about turning the 10-gallon into an invert tank but I think for now I'll move everyone to the 30 gallon.

So, numbers of the above would be great! Also am I missing anything, should I consider anything else? I'm curious about loaches too if you think there's room.

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

For the platy I would do two females to each male or even three but keep in mind that you will be over run with babies and will need another tank to raise them .And then you will have to find a way to rehome them. You might want to consider bringing back the females and getting all males. as the females will probably be pregnant when you buy them and they can store sperm for a long time and keep having babies every month for several months with no further contact. One BNP, at least 6 of the same species of cory cats, I would do honey gourami or sunset thick lipped instead and if you set up the 10 gal for shrimp then I would use that for a the sparkling gourami. The honey or thick lipped are peacefull and all over the tank but up at the top a lot as well. With those gourami you could do one male and a couple of females. Welcome to the forum . Alison:;hi2

5. Daniel W Member Member

I think you should have
    4 platies
    4 guppies
    12 cherry shrimp
    A centerpiece (Ram, dwarf gourami, honey gourami, ect.)
    6 corys.

Beware! Your platies and guppys will breed ALOT. Your 30 gallon will quickly become overstocked if you plan to keep all the fry.

6. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think a smaller,peacefull fish will be better than a gourami they will eat cherry shrimp.a female betta might work.

7. Stephinpdx Initiate Member

Thanks everyone! I so appreciate it.
    aliray do you think it will be overrun with babies even if I let nature take its course? Curious what will happen there.
    Daniel W I like this one because it lets me keep the guppies!
    Pikachu13131 I had no idea you could keep Bettas with other fish!

8. Pikachu13131 Member Member

My male betta killed my endlers,so I tried again by leaving more endlers in a bag in the tank over night,eventually he gave upon trying to kill them and now he's fine with other fish in his tank I have him with fancy guppies now.

Also female bettas are less aggressive.

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I will have to disagree with about the bettas. Females can be as aggressive as the males and they will eat baby shrimp as well. Even letting nature take its course, yes you can get over run with fry if they have places to hide livebearer fish give birth every month and they can have a lot of babies. . Also back to the betta I would not keep a betta male or female with other fish. unless you wanted to do a betta sorority of 6 females bettas in the right size tank as the only fish in the tank. Alison :;hi1

10. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think he should try it,he can get a 5 gallon aquarium if it doesn't work out or he can give it away.

11. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You could at least you would have a back up plan , but I personally would not, But the again I like my pair of thick lipped gourami and my centerpiece fish for my 30 gal is a koi angel fish. Just reread your post, You could have the betta in the 10 gal, and do one angel fish as a centerpiece fish and that should take care of letting nature take its course. I picked up my 30 From a gentleman on CL . He had a huge tank with tons of guppies and fry that were kept in there for the angel fish to eat the baby guppies. Alison

12. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Angelfish aren't a bad idea,they still might eat shrimp though.you might want to get the colony of shrimp started before yo add any more fish.

13. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Not to derail this thread but Pikachu13131 Did you see the betta sorority that aquaphobia posted of hers? Back on track , most fish will snack on baby shrimp the trick is lots of moss in the tank for the baby shrimp to hide in , likes clumps of java moss. . Alison

14. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Yeah I saw It

I think it might be a good idea to not do a centerpiece fish and just have a school of small colorfull fish,all the centerpiece fish will eat adult shrimp small fish will only eat shrimplets.it doeant matter if they eat shrimplets as long as there's adults you will get more shrimplets.

15. Daniel W Member Member

I disagree, some centerpiece fish can be peacefull, just not the majority. A centerpiece fish I am very fond of are honey gouramis.

16. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Honey gouramis will eat adult shrimp.

17. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Okay I'm just going to pop in and give my two cents, I would totally try a female betta, everyone told me that it was a terrible idea when I tried it however mine betta loves being in my community tank. The only casualty is she has eaten a few snails off the glass, which wasn't a problem for me. However I would keep your 10 gallon going with an ammonia supply (sprinkle fish food in) to keep it cycled in case the betta doesn't work. My shrimp live happily with my betta and a lot do, all betta sre different so you just have to try it.

18. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I thought this at first as well, before I learned the hard way.

My betta was 'peaceful' for a long time, then one day he turned violent and started attacking everything, including snails......

Just because a betta is peaceful at first does not mean they will be always.

Females are just as aggressive as males, don't do them with other fish.

Bettas will eat shrimp too.

Bettas also aren't a good tankmate for platies and guppies. Go with a peacock gudgeon.