55 Gallon Tank Stocking opinion

Tilderjones

Hi there,
I'm still playing around with the stocking of my 55 gallon - right now I have:
- 4 angels (still young adult/teenager size)
- 3 pearl gouramis (these guys are new, still very young about 1.25")
- 1 sunset thick-lipped gourami
- 2 swordtails (m/f pair)
- 4 peppered cories (originally got 6 but 2 died shortly after I brought them back)

I've just now removed the German Blue ram I had in there as he started chasing the new pearl gouramis (and only those) non-stop, I've put him in 'jail' (another tank :p) for a bit to calm down. I'd like to try adding him back later after moving some stuff around and adding a few more hides to see if he is calmer.
If I get the chance to get him a female or two I will.

Anyways, with my current stocking, and once the pearls and angels get to adult size, is that too much if I also had 2-3 GBR in there?
If its too much I have the option of selling the GBR and just having the gouramis and angels run the tank.
The tank is currently quite reasonably planted with tall plants like hygrophila and swords.
What do you think? Would that be over-stocking once my angels and pearls get to full adult size?

AcornTheBetta

Tilderjones said:
Hi there,
- 4 peppered cories (originally got 6 but 2 died shortly after I brought them back)

I've just now removed the German Blue ram I had in there as he started chasing the new pearl gouramis (and only those) non-stop, I've put him in 'jail' (another tank :p) for a bit to calm down. I'd like to try adding him back later after moving some stuff around and adding a few more hides to see if he is calmer.

Anyways, with my current stocking, and once the pearls and angels get to adult size, is that too much if I also had 2-3 GBR in there?
If its too much I have the option of selling the GBR and just having the gouramis and angels run the tank.
The tank is currently quite reasonably planted with tall plants like hygrophila and swords.
What do you think? Would that be over-stocking once my angels and pearls get to full adult size?
I don't think it would be overstocked. I would add a few more cories tho just so that your 4 have a school.

andy305mia

4 Angles in a 55 is not a good idea IMO unless 2 pair off and yo plan on rehoming the rest. Also, although Angelfish and GBR are very much compatible, peppered cory are not. They need colder water, sterbai would work with Angelfish and GBR. I don't recommend you add GBR until your tank has been setup for at least a couple months and I suggest plenty of plants as well. I suggest 1 Angelfish 2-3 rams 6-7 sterbai, and a large school of rummynose tetra like 20 at least. Keep the temps from 82-85 degrees no less than 80. Good luck!

andy305mia

Tilderjones said:
Hi there,

A school of Angelfish would be super cool but they get HUGE, IMO a 75 gallon would be the smallest size. You could do 5-6. Others may disagree but I have had some and they get huge and they can be nasty to each other, must be a cichlid thing.

Tilderjones

AcornTheBetta said:
I don't think it would be overstocked. I would add a few more cories tho just so that your 4 have a school.
Thanks, yeah I'll look for some healthy peppered cories to join mine. Even with the four they are very active and nice to watch, I'd love to have more.

andy305mia said:
4 Angles in a 55 is not a good idea IMO unless 2 pair off and yo plan on rehoming the rest. Also, although Angelfish and GBR are very much compatible, peppered cory are not. They need colder water, sterbai would work with Angelfish and GBR. I don't recommend you add GBR until your tank has been setup for at least a couple months and I suggest plenty of plants as well. I suggest 1 Angelfish 2-3 rams 6-7 sterbai, and a large school of rummynose tetra like 20 at least. Keep the temps from 82-85 degrees no less than 80. Good luck!
Yeah they sure can be nasty I've seen it first hand. I already returned one angel which attacked all the rest and wanted the whole tank, and replaced him with a timid one. Now two seem have paired up, always swimming together, and the male of the pair usually protects their half of the tank, the other two have free run of their half and will sometimes wonder into the pair's half (with the knowledge they will be chased out, of course). It seems they have their territories settled for now, at least. If things change I can return two and leave just the pair.

BTW I've had my GRB and peppered cories for almost a year now and I've kept them at 78-82, I've also had the peppered cories at higher temps (like 85) when I was treating the tank a few times. My four cories are one of the fish that have had zero issues with anything, maybe it's only the wild caught ones that may need the cooler temps and these have acclimatized.

andy305mia

Tilderjones said:
Thanks, yeah I'll look for some healthy peppered cories to join mine. Even with the four they are very active and nice to watch, I'd love to have more.

Yeah they sure can be nasty I've seen it first hand. I already returned one angel which attacked all the rest and wanted the whole tank, and replaced him with a timid one. Now two seem have paired up, always swimming together, and the male of the pair usually protects their half of the tank, the other two have free run of their half and will sometimes wonder into the pair's half (with the knowledge they will be chased out, of course). It seems they have their territories settled for now, at least. If things change I can return two and leave just the pair.

BTW I've had my GRB and peppered cories for almost a year now and I've kept them at 78-82, I've also had the peppered cories at higher temps (like 85) when I was treating the tank a few times. My four cories are one of the fish that have had zero issues with anything, maybe it's only the wild caught ones that may need the cooler temps and these have acclimatized.
They are tough fish but ideal temps are in the colder range, plus the color will come out more in colder waters. Like neon tetra, they will survive in 80 degree temps but they will do better and look better in low 70s and live longer.

Top Bottom