Stocking Okay For 8.5gal?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by millie4598, Apr 23, 2017.

1. millie4598New MemberMember

I recently got an 8.5 gallon tank (20x10x10- long) and it has finally cycled. I was wondering if this would be overcrowding for the tank (I plan on stocking only a couple fish per week, of course.)

1 powder blue dwarf gourami

2 platies

2 peppered corydoras (I know they're schooling fish, but I don't have a lot of room... I read they do okay with just two for a small tank, not sure on this though)

5 ghost shrimp

Can I add any more cories or is this fully/overstocked?

2. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

Dwarf gouramis need 20 gallons minimum

Platies make a lot of waste for their size.

Peppered cories need 20 gallons minimum and groups of 6+

How about this instead
    1 Male platy
    1 Asian stone catfish
    5 Ghost shrimp
    3 Amano shrimp
    1 Nerite snail

3. BuddahNew MemberMember

Are you really set on the Corys? Yes they can do okay in this small of a group and tank but their lifespan and quality of life will be dramatically lower. Would you be interested in any other bottom feeders or clean up crew type fish? Some will argue Platies need at least a 10 gallon but in all honesty i have seen dozens of people keep them for years in smaller tanks so i won't be the one to say anything on that.

4. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

For an 8.5 gallon, I think you'd be much better suited to either a betta, a shrimp tank, a few male endlers, or maybe some of the small species of Killis.

5. lyfeoffishinValued MemberMember

Is the tank planted with live plants? If so maybe you might want to look into a shrimp tank.

Or possibly a betta tank. They are nice and fun to keep in a tank by themselves or with snails.

6. millie4598New MemberMember

Could I keep a betta with ghost shrimp and maybe 4-5 cories (are albino cories smaller)? I could get two ADF's instead if the tank is really too small. I've researched a lot about ADF's.

I have three moss balls and other artificial plants.

7. lyfeoffishinValued MemberMember

Corrys are really to big unless you can get pigmy corys but I still think the are too active for a tank that small

8. millie4598New MemberMember

Don't know how to edit yet.. Just to clarify I meant the ADF's instead of cories and not just the ADF's alone.

Unfortunately there are no pygmys in the area so I guess I'll have to scrap the idea for cories... :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  9. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

10. millie4598New MemberMember

I think I like the idea of neons and shrimp :) My lfs doesn't have green neons though. Would the regular kind be okay? I'm thinking 6 neons and 8 ghost shrimp

11. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

I would not do the regular neons. They are too big and actually need more length. You could easily do 8 greens though.

Are there any local clubs maybe? Or any lfs with nano fish?

12. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with above!

13. millie4598New MemberMember

There is one lfs that I haven't been to yet. They seem very experienced (recommended by a friend who has kept a lot of tanks) but I haven't had a chance to check it out. I'll probably be going out this week to look at the fish there and get some by the end of the week. If they have greens I'll probably get 8 like ashenwelt suggested. If they don't have greens I'll probably stick with a betta/shrimp tank. Thank you everyone!

14. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Make sure you take pics and post it!

15. lyfeoffishinValued MemberMember

You can also talk to the owner of LFS to see if they can order special fish for you. I've had them order things they never stocked before and the stock sold quick and often and they gave me some store credit

16. millie4598New MemberMember

I will :D

I'll try to do that if they don't have greens!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice