Stocking Numbers

mysteryb

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have an established, 29 gallon tank, which will be empty soon, as all the fish will be moving into a currently cycling 60 gallon.
It will be a planted tank, and I would like to have neon tetras, cory cats, and ghost shrimp. How many of each would work out in the 29?
Thanks ahead of time!

mysteryb

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, sounds good!
Also, what plants do you think would work out? This is the first time I've had live plants, so easy beginner plants?

escapay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome! I know for Cories, 6 of the 3-inch type (Albinos, Peppers, etc.) is usually recommended for a 29 gallon. About 10 of the 2-inch ones (Juili, Pandas*, etc.)

* Might actually stay smaller than 2 inches, they might be 1-1.5 inches

Welcome to Fishlore!

This would look nice if these would be the only in the tank.

16 Neon tetras
8 Panda cories
8 julii cories
a few ghost shrimp
I'm thinking that might be too many cories. I was recommended to have about 10 panda cories in my 36 gallon (which has a little larger of a foot print, but not by much).

Ok, sounds good!
Also, what plants do you think would work out? This is the first time I've had live plants, so easy beginner plants?
What kind of lights do you have or plan on getting? If you do low-light, I would recommend Java Fern and Anubias.

mysteryb

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The lights are the ones that came with the aquarium, nothing special. What about corkscrew vallisneria? Is that low light?
My LFS only stocks julii cories, no pandas... so 10, or less?

mysteryb

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also, with the neons, I know they like darker environments, so I was thinking about some kind of floating plant maybe...?

escapay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The lights are the ones that came with the aquarium, nothing special. What about corkscrew vallisneria? Is that low light?
Looks like other sites say it is a low light, at least some variations. I saw at least one variation listed as medium lighting.

As for the Julii - probably 8 (better for stocking, I think), maybe 10 of them at most.

Also wanted to mention... check out these links for low light plant topics:
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/135225-low-light-plants.html
https://www.fishlore.com/encyclopediaaquariumplants.htm

Last edited:

mysteryb

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hmm... ok...
So 8 julii
16 neons
and a few ghost shrimp?

Some java fern and anubius... and I'll look into the corkscrew vallisneria.
How about floating plants, for the neons?

escapay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

QQQUUUUAADDD

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As for albinos, I wouldn't even put them in a 29. They get too big. Now that I think of it, I agree with you Escapay. There wouldn't be enough room for all of them.

Last edited:

escapay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
^ Even with just 6 of them? I know they get 3 inches, but I recall seeing them often recommended. I know to have a bigger school, a larger tank would definitely be required. Most sources seem to say 30 gallons is a fine size for them. I didn't find any that said bigger is a must, though I did unfortunately find ones that said 10-15 was fine - though those seemed to indicate they only get 2 inches.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom