stocking new 55 gallon HELP!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bizaliz3, Jul 13, 2015.

1. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I am setting up another 55 gallon this week and I have been doing a lot of debating about stocking this tank. I have always done large communities with many fish. But I was thinking about maybe doing a tank with just a few very large fish and nothing else (except maybe a cory school as my cleaning crew) I love parrots. I know very little about cichlids overall. I have done a lot of research, but there are so many species and the stores don't use the scientific names, but the websites and books do. So I get confused a lot.

But basically, I want 2 or 3 large fish with faces full of personality that can live together as individual fish, not schools (since I want large fish and my tank isn't big for a SCHOOL of large fish, but could work for a few large individual fish) Give me suggestions. I am ok with just doing 2 or 3 parrots and nothing else. But I want some other ideas. I want them big, but not too huge for a 55, and I want them to have priceless faces like a parrot does. LOL

PS when making suggestions, please also provide the common name and not just the scientific name. Because that is where I keep getting lost!

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Imo, a parrot is too big for a 55g at 10 inches, since a 55 is only 12 inches wide.
    How about a T-Bar cichlid? Cryptoheros sajica is the scientific name, they look really cool.
    They get 5 inches.
    Or maybe the flier cichlid? They get 6 inches and their scientific name is Archocentrus centrarchus.
    Or Archocentrus multispinosus (rainbow cichlid) or Archocentrus spinosissimus (Spiny cichlid).

3. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

Have you heard of the persimmon parrot? They are supposedly a dwarf breed of parrot. They are supposed to get to just 4-5 inches. My LFS has them....

I will take a look at the ones you suggested Anders247, thanks

Keep em coming folks!!

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I don't know if you want tropical fish or not but I was thinking 2 or 3 common goldfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I have dealt with the "common goldfish" enough thanks to my daughter winning them at carnivals. I am not a fan. I WOULD consider more fancy goldfish though, but not the common carnival goldfish.

Thanks for your suggestion, keep em coming!

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ok then change the word "common" in my suggestion to "fancy" :D

7. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I like funny and unique faces and the ranchu goldfish and the moors definitely offer the weird face! LOL I don't know though, I am torn about doing a goldfish tank. I have never been a fan, but I have also never had anything but the carnival/feeder goldfish. Do the fancy goldfish have more of a personality? Because I want the fish to have fun personalities as well...and I haven't seen much personality from the common goldfish I have had in the past.

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I think @SolidGold can help you out with that one.

But if you want personality, I'd go with some bigger-sized danios such as giant danios, royal danios, etc. they are hyper and always on the go, even at night!

9. Anders247

Common goldfish would be way too big for this tank.
    If persimmon parrots get that big then they'd be fine in there.

10. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I actually would prefer to NOT have hyper fish. I was thinking more personality in the face...not the activity level. I don't think they need to be active fish to have personality...you know? But I will certainly look into it! I am open to any and all suggestions at this point! Thanks!

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well, I dont really know that much about goldfish to begin with, but there's ones that get 6" or so right? Orandas or something?

12. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

So you haven't heard of the persimmon parrot? I was really hoping maybe you had! They look identical in color and shape. So I have no idea if they really truly are dwarfs or just baby parrots.

13. Anders247

Nope, never heard of them. Are you sure they aren't a gimmick or sales ploy?

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

They look very similar to goldfish if I'm looking at the right picture.. that's why I had the idea of goldfish.

15. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I thought it could be a gimmick, but at the same time the guy was very honest with me. He said that he has never had a customer come back and tell him whether or not they did in fact stay small or if they got to be average size. The assumption there is that no one has had an issue with them growing too large or they would have been back. But anyway He is just telling me what the breeder says. In other words, if he was only concerned about making a sale, he would have just said they were dwarfs and left it at that. This place is pretty respectable....so I trust them.

After doing some research I did find some info on them. They do exist! And they are supposedly dwarfs.....but I didnt find a ton of info. No first hand accounts or anything.

16. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hmm, what about a severum or two? Do your fish necessarily have to be peaceful?

17. Anders247

The severum would have to be H. severus as the more common types seen in stores are H. notatus and H. efasciatus which get a foot long.

18. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

What would the common name be for the H. Severus? Is there a common name the fish stores may use? or will it just be H. severus?

Have you heard of the starry night cichlid? I don't know the scientific name right now. Are they aggressive? would one of those be too big? Are they super aggressive? I only ask because there is a private breeder in my neighborhood selling them (I found the person on craigslist) they are gorgeous fish....But I worry they would be too big. I am finding conflicting info on their size and personality....the ones he is selling are just 2 inches and only $7.

19. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I should probably stay away from aggressive fish, but I am ok with semi agressive. I have only done peaceful community tanks and I am going for something different this time. And if I plan on just a couple big fish, they would have to be able to co-exist (and allow me to have some kind of bottom feeders.)

20. Anders247

They're just called severums, H. efasciatus is often sold as H. severus so I would just skip them because it's more likely than not they will be the 12 inch type.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice