Stocking new 5 gallon 5 Gallon Tank

1. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I was just wondering if you guys can give me a list of fish suitable for this tank.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

4. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I was looking at 1 half moon betta 2 ADFs and ghost shrimp but I was looking for other ideas do you have any.

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would get one betta OR 2 adfs not both. I would also watch out my ghost shrimp shredded my bettas tail.

6. josh7 Well Known Member Member

If I got 2 male endlers and 4 females is that doable all fry would go into my 55 gallon as food though. Or could I do a guppy trio.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ghost shrimp arent good choices with long finned bettas. Their fins will become a tasty, regenerating treat for the shrimp. I'd suggest red cherry shrimp :)

You can see my betta tanks in my sig below. All are working out great :)

8. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Is it a 5 gallon long? How is the filtration? If you've got good filtration on it and you're committed to testing the water/keeping it clean, you could get a small schooling fish. Other forum members might disagree with me here. :)

5x neon tetras
    OR
    5x glolight tetras (the small size tetras with the golden stripe, not the fancy new genetically engineered lime-green skirt tetras...they would be too much bioload).
    OR
    5x harlequin rasboras

Perhaps some red cherry shrimp.

Cheers!

9. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think endlers probably are a better choice just because they are smaller.

10. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

+1 on the endlers idea.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I've kept Endlers in a 5 gallon very successfully.

12. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay I don't know where I could get them around here they only sell guppies the closest thing I have seen is a lyretail guppy. Tank dimensions are 16x8x10

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It's nearly impossible to find Endlers in a pet store. You could order them online, I know there are people here on fishlore that sell them. You could also get them from hobbyists in your area. The easiest things to find would be a betta or a couple African Dwarf Frogs.

14. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay then thanks you guys will find endlers or just get bettas and ADFs.

15. escapay Well Known Member Member

My PetSmart store recently started to carry Endlers... or if you have another LFS, they might have them. I know at least one of the two LFS that I've been to have them.

16. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Pet stores have have Endlers are almost always hybrids. I can pretty much garuntee that petsmart wouldn't be able to maintain a pure strain.