Stocking New 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SnowCrashR, Jul 11, 2015.

1. SnowCrashR

SnowCrashR New Member Member

I've convinced myself that I should move up to a 29 gallon tank. I'm planning to move my three platy (ffm) in, once the cycling is finished. Would I be alright to include another three platy (total 4f2m) in the tank? I'm thinking that 6-8 tetras would look nice in there, too... possibly neon, cardinal, or rummy nose.
    With that population, do I have room for a bigger fish or two? If so, are there any that you'd recommend in particular?
    The plants are all plastic or silk, as I'm not into gardening.
    Thank you for any input.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You can do a centerpiece fish such as honey or dwarf gourami, Kribensis, German blue ram or Bolivian ram. Also a school of bottom feeders would work, cories or otocinclus.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. W

Wumbology New Member Member

I think a pair of dwarf gouramis would look really good maybe with a bristlenose pleco for a cool bottom feeder

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

It's hard to find female dwarf gouramis, because they are a dull gray usually. Males, which are much more common, will fight.
    Rather than a BN which has a huge bioload, I'd do a group of 6 cories of the same species.

5. OP
    OP
    SnowCrashR

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.
    I have some particular questions, relating to your responses.
    1. I've been reading about dwarf gourami disease, and it seems like a pretty regular thing... is it? ... and should I avoid the gourami for that reason?
    2. About the cories... I have a smooth gravel substrate, and I've read that they prefer sand. Will that be a problem?
    3. Are kribensis males aggressive towards each other? Are they easily sexed, so I can get one male, one female?
    Thanks, again.

6. Anders247

If the gravel is smooth, it won't be a problem but they much prefer sand.
    As for the dwarf gourami disease, I wouldn't let that concern you.
    Two male kribs in a 29g would not be a good idea.

7. Dom90

Yes a 29 gallon is too small to accommodate two male kribs, one would be fine though.

8. OP
    OP
    SnowCrashR

I should also ask... will tetras school with other species of tetras, as my platys do, or should I make sure that all tetras are of the same type?

9. Dom90

You need to make sure they are the same species.

10. OP
    OP
    SnowCrashR

Perfect! Thank you.

11. OP
    OP
    SnowCrashR

12. Dom90

I would not do a male and female in a 29.

13. Anders247

It's enough room for a pair, but I wouldn't do it because they can be aggressive when breeding and there's limited space for the other fish to get away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice