Stocking New 10g Question

1. ajoyfulbettta

ajoyfulbettta Valued Member Member

i have such a problem posting on here haha but i always get good responses so here we go again!

sooo in my new 10g community i think it would b cool if i could get 3 different fish, i've already turned down corys now, though i could do the dwarfs, they just aren't as appealing to me than regular corys :) so here's my two must haves,

guppies!
    green neon tetra!

how many could i do of each? is there a another small fish i could do? i also can't really find anything on what level swimmers guppies are, it would be nice to have one on each level.

thanks!!

2. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

i wouldnt do guppies.
    maybe green neons and asian stone catfish?

3. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

whattttt i've heard such great things about them and they are the closest i can get to having a betta in a community bahaha
    please don't suggest a betta either, i have separate betta tank :) don't wanna deal with aggression in a community

4. puffer boi

look at this list tell me if you like anything Stocking List for 10 Gallons

5. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

ohhh looks awesome i'll take a few hours to go through it, any suggestions for really colorful long flowy like fish like a betta or guppy?

6. puffer boi

some of the smaller gouramis look like that

7. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

3 different types of fish is tough in a 10 gallon. If youre REALLY commited and stay on top of maintenance, use a good filtration system and do regular vacuuming and water changes, you COULD do 5 guppies (all male or all female) a betta and a clown pleco. The pleco (and guppies) have a big bioload so youll need good filtration and be committed to vacuuming, BUT if you put a bunch of live plants in there it will help with nitrates.

I wouldnt do neons in a 10 gallon. Its been done, it can be done, but theyre a fish that goes well in larger groups with more room to swim. If you were bent on neons, I wouldnt do them with guppies but instead a couple solo fish. You can barely fit one small school in a 10, let alone 2.

8. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Sparkling Gourami are adorable and perfect for a 10 G you could keep 4 + 6 micro rasboras or micro tetras.

9. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

FWIW: I think the greens neons the OP is interested in are a nano fish & smaller than regular neons.

10. S

Stone catfish and guppies don't work. Stone cats are cool water river fish while guppies want warmer and harder water.

If you were going to do stone cats I would do white cloud dineos who like a cooler water.

11. S

I would also NEVER mix guppies and bettas. That is the sort of set up where everything would seem fine and then one day you wake up to a bunch of dead fish.

And I think a 10G is too small for a clown pleco.

12. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Also female guppies can switch genders and breed so if you get guppies get males because they can't switch genders.

13. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

thanks!

14. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

thanks!! i def don't wanna do a betta and guppies, so prob just the guppies. could i do two guppies, six green neons (the dwarf ones), and a pleco? also i can't really find clown, are there any other that stay under 2"?

15. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Ive never had a problem keeping a betta in a guppy tank. Ever. And Ive done it a bunch of times (10?).

2 guppies, 6 dwarf neons and a nano pleco would be fine. A few years back my son wanted a pleco for his 10 gallon so I talked to the Queen of nano fish, Rachael O'Leary, and she said a clown would be fine in a 10 gallon, so we now have a few of them. lol

16. OP
    OP
    ajoyfulbettta

that's awesome, i've heard a lot about the bettas going after the guppies, but i guess not in all cases! and thanks!! i'll do that! you've been a great help