Stocking my tank 29 Gallon Tank

1. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

I need help! I have a tank the measures 30inches across, 18 inches up and 12 deep. I have had fish in my tank since April this year. So far I have 3 Corydoras, 5 Male Guppies and 2 Ghost shrimp. I have sand substrait and plastic plants and things for fish to hide. Having troubles figuring out what other fish to put in there and how many of each to do... I have been looking around the net a lot lately and web site say opposite things... its confusing! I had a group of 6 neons but they died.. so I tried again and they died too... not sure if it is the hardness of my water or the location I got the fish. But my other fish are doing great. I add water to the tank every week cause it evaporates out quickly and I have a Tetra Whisper 40i filteration system. My hood is a LED with white and blue lights, and I have a bubbling system... LOL this is my first tank. :)

I would like a community tank with a center piece fish but afraid of over stocking my tank. I had male and female guppies but didn't research them as much as I should of and didn't realize they are rabbits of fish world. lol But all the babies found happy homes. :) Please help me I want to do this right.

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to FL.
    The first suggestion I would make is to up the cories to five or six. They do best in bigger groups. Since you have guppies, I would also avoid fish that might be tempted to go after their fins, like barbs and certain tetras.
    When you say you add water, are you adding treated water or just water out of the tap? If it's untreated, that might be what did in your neons (which are not the hardiest fish around to begin with).

3. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

It was tap...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. pugletfan Member Member

Did you add water conditioner to the tap water? Prime is a very good water conditioner.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, like pugletfan said, Prime is about the best water conditioner you can get. It's what most of us use, and it usually only takes a capful or less to do the job. The problem with untreated tap water is the chlorine and other additives are harmful to the fish, even when just used to top off the tank. The only time you might not need to treat the water is if you're on well water, but not even all well water is free of those additives now.

6. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

Ill look in to the prime. :)
    I have well water, live in the county side

7. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

This is my tank

Attached Files:

8. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Oh! Well, you may not need Prime then. I don't know what is or isn't in the well water, but Prime is much less of an issue when you're not on regular city water with all its additives and metals. I also see that I did not reply to another question from your first post. You have room to play with now in the tank right now. You have about 28 gallons, yes? You have room to grow the stock still.

Tank looks great!

9. sbdzx Member Member

I've read a lot about how neons are a really weak fish. Corys will most likely do better in groups of 5-6, so probably you should get more corys, preferably of the same species of the ones you have right now. Now, I'm not an expert or anything, but it sounds like you have a lot of room in your tank right now for stocking. Gouramis make good centerpiece fish (there are several species to look into) and are usually peaceful. Bettas may also be good centerpiece, but they don't get as big as some gouramis and I don't know too much about them. A German blue ram cichlid might also be a good centerpiece fish, but again, you'll definitely have to look into these.

You could also get a school of schooling fish, if you like those. Some ones I can name right now are bloodfin tetras, glowlight tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs. Good luck whatever you choose! Your tank is pretty.

10. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

Yes it a 28 gallon tank. I would love some schooling fish :) but I don't know which to get. My guppies that I have currently are fin nippers and I know that wouldn't be good for a Betta, they nip at each other all the time and I don't understand why... Would a pair of kissing Gouramis work? Or would they beat up my other fish?

I want to make my fish tank attractive with color and appealing to watch.

11. Guppy123 Initiate Member

I wouldn't recommend kissing gouramis for your tank. They need a larger tank and adult kissing gouramis would not be compatible with other smaller fish like guppies.

12. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

Just the dwarf gouramis then?

13. Guppy123 Initiate Member

Gouramis are very unpredictable... They all have different temperaments. They might get along, but they can have sudden bursts of aggression. Get fish that can withstand little bits of abuse.
    You might get lucky and get peaceful gouramis.

14. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Honey Gourami are smaller and not aggressive. And they are very pretty. Your tank is beautiful.

15. Guppy123 Initiate Member

True

16. Guppy123 Initiate Member

I mean true

17. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

The honey gouramis are very pretty thanks! Ill go with that, can I get just one or do they need to be in a group?

Also would u put taller plants for mote hiding places?

thanks! just one in the tank or do they need more?

18. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure. I'm planning on getting a honey gourami for my centerpiece fish so I was only going to get one. I have looked everywhere to find out if I can get a pair. I did find out that they are very hard to sex which might be a reason that people don't get two. You definitely wouldn't want to have to males.

19. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

Okay thanks for the advice!

20. ethansmama07 Initiate Member

Ive been thinking how do these sound?
    I came up with 3 options for my tank.
    1. One flame dwarf gourami, honey gourami, or pearl gourami ; 8 harlequin Rasboras;3 otto cats; 6 corydoras

2. 1 angel fish; 9 schooling fish; 6 corydoras

Or 3. A pair of german blue rams; 9 tetras that are hardy; 6 corydoras

Could I add a snail or two to the tank to for algae eating? Or would a school of otto cats be better? I want to do this right.