Stocking my tank. Suggestions needed

1. jcmguy Member Member

So I started off with a 29 gallon with one filter but now I have two filters on it. I plan on heavily planting the tank before I stock it but I would just like some colorful, easy to care for, suggestions. My pH, is 8.2, my alkalinity is around 180 ppm, my ammonia and nitrites are at 0, and nitrates are <5. I'm not sure what I can keep at such a high pH but I have a smaller tank with the same pH and alkalinity, it has an albino pleco, 3 neon tetras, and 3 beautiful guppies. All suggestions and info are welcome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Archie1208 Member Member

I believe (but am not sure) that cichlids are partial to a high pH. Do you know what your GH and KH are? If they are hard, softer preferring fish have an easier time adjusting to hard water than vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. jcmguy Member Member

I believe they're hard... so cichlids?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Archie1208 Member Member

I believe cichlids like a harder water but am not sure. This can be researched easy enough - any site that sells them should have parameters -

My point was fish that like soft water can adapt to hard water because what they need is readily available (and more). However fish that like hard water cannot easily get from the water their required needs. Hopes this makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

what about endlers or corys or a dwarf gourami? if i had a 29g that is what i would do lol. definatly lime green endlers salt and pepper corys and maybe a dwarf gourami it adds movement to every level of the tank and i believe if im not mistaken 4 endlers 6 corys and one gourami would fit?