75 Gallon Tank Stocking my tank- need help

Randomfishlover

Hi, I'm relativly new to the hobby and have just started getting my 75 gallon tank set up. I am planning to stock it and would like to know if these species are completely compatible.

I am planning to put in:
The tank will be a planted auqascape with plenty of hiding spots.

I was hoping to know if these fish would do well together and if the amount of each species is right. Also if it is over stocked And which fish I should tank off the list if any.

Salem

Can you be more specific on what kind of pleco and gourami? Theres a lot of variation in them in both care and size.

You may want to reconsider amounts of certain fish also. Glass catfish for example are best kept in groups of 6 or more

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

What kind of gourami? Most of the them can be aggressive especially with anything smaller than them. The dwarfs are better but it still isn't guaranteed. You also shouldn't put 2 males together but most places do not carry females.
Also make sure you cycle first. Add fish a few at a time so you do not overload the good bacteria. I would add fish first and shrimp last once you have plants established and water stable. Shrimp are very sensitive to any fluctuations in water parameters.

Upvote 0

Randomfishlover

can you be more specific on what kind of pleco and gourami? theres a lot of variation in them in both care and size.
Sorry. I am planning on a bristlenose Pleco and darwf gourami

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

There are many peaceful gourami. Just avoid dwarfs as they will be aggressive to other males especially, and other tank mates. Sort of like bettas.
I'd be worried the farlowella cat and the pleco might eat the shrimp.

Upvote 0

Randomfishlover

What kind of gourami? Most of the them can be aggressive especially with anything smaller than them. The dwarfs are better but it still isn't guaranteed. You also shouldn't put 2 males together but most places do not carry females.
Also make sure you cycle first. Add fish a few at a time so you do not overload the good bacteria. I would add fish first and shrimp last once you have plants established and water stable. Shrimp are very sensitive to any fluctuations in water parameters.
Would two females get along fine?
I have planned for the cycle and am going to add one species at a time. Although I didn't know to add the shrimp last. Thanks
Can you be more specific on what kind of pleco and gourami? Theres a lot of variation in them in both care and size.

You may want to reconsider amounts of certain fish also. Glass catfish for example are best kept in groups of 6 or more
I will definitely consider getting more glass cats :)

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

You are welcome. I have a tank I am prepping for shrimp so I have been reading a lot. They are sensitive to nitrites so I worry that adding a group of schoolers or a couple larger fish will throw things off enough to kill them. As for the gourami, I have heard honey gourami are the gentlest kind but have never had them. My opaline was mean, that I can attest to. Cory cats are also better in groups. If you get 6 or more they seem to dance. Cool to watch.

Upvote 0

Randomfishlover

I was hoping to keep all male or all female molly's to prevent breeding. Is that a possible thing that I can do? Or will it cause problems?

Upvote 0

JustAFishServant

I was hoping to keep all male or all female molly's to prevent breeding. Is that a possible thing that I can do? Or will it cause problems?
Generally, keeping all one gender shouldn't be a problem. A lot of Livebearers don't necessarily need the "1:3 ratio" that other fish do. All you'd have to do next is identify them, and hope everything goes well! If you decide on getting females I would suggest you get them from a friend, an LFS, or online where they keep both genders separate. Otherwise you'll end up with a million-baby surprise!

Upvote 0

LeafY4life77

It should be fine. Mollys are aggressive fish, so you will most likely notice aggressive behavior at first, but they should settle down eventually. The female mollys store sperm, so you might end up with fry if you keep all females...

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Well, one gender tank shouldn't be a problem. Wether they're males or females, both genders can develop a hierarchy within the tank. But once they know they're standing, the harmony will return.
In case of females, get virgins... I've read that you don't want to deal with the fry.

Upvote 0

Randomfishlover

Hi. I'm going to be stocking my 75 gallon tank soon and would like to know if this stocking list would be okay?
  • 6-7 kulhi loach
  • 1-2 rabbit snails
  • 15-20 amono shrimp
  • 1 bristlenose Pleco
  • 1 farowela catfish
  • 4-8 female molly's (amount depends on what's good for them and the tank)
  • 8 glass catfish
I would like to know if these amounts are okay for the tank and the species? Also if there are too many bottom feeders? I would also like to know the ideal tempature and PH for this tank if that's possible?

Its going to be heavily planted and have driftwood, Ohko Stone, and sand.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Those bottom feeders aren't very aggressive except for possibly the farlowella cat, they'd might eat the shrimp. But besides that I say you could definitely add some more mid and top dwellers. Maybe like 15-20 or so tetras. Or have the mollies breed and sell or give away the babies (Once they're big enough) to your fls.

Upvote 0

Randomfishlover

Those bottom feeders aren't very aggressive except for possibly the farlowella cat, they'd might eat the shrimp. But besides that I say you could definitely add some more mid and top dwellers. Maybe like 15-20 or so tetras. Or have the mollies breed and sell or give away the babies (Once they're big enough) to your fls.
Would black skirt tetras be okay?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The only issue i can think of off-hand is watch out for the mollies, they can be real and total jerks. But since most in there should be bigger than them...that might calm them down!

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Again about the shrimp and farlowella. But pH doesn't really matter, though I've heard it said that high pH fish can't be in low pH. But a stable phb is better than a fluctuating one.

Upvote 0

Coradee

**Several threads have been merged**

Upvote 0

Randomfishlover

I am a beginner and am setting up a 75 gallon as my second tank (the first is a five gallon beta).
Should I keep glass cats or are they too hard to keep as a beginner?

Upvote 0

jaysurf7

I would say no their not hard to keep at all,I have glass cat fish in my 60 gal community tank and they seem to do fine,as long as I kept them though I noticed they seem to like to stay in a current and like to be in groups.their pretty hardy fish from what I've noticed,though they can be somewhat skittish around bigger fish but after a while they seem to get used to them.overall a really nice fish to have in a tank very unique look that a lot of people like.somtimes there hard to find in a lot of fish stores though.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EnderKing
Replies
Views
Fiercebettas
Replies
Views
Flounderman553
Replies