stocking my sister's 10 gallon...

Swifterz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
today is her birthday, I thought i'd pick her up a few fish and take them over to her. I almost 100% for sure have decided on black skirt tetras, but i'd like to have 2 species in the tank. the problem with that is, 3 black skirts is a bit few as they prefer to school (although 10 gallons is so small it might not matter), and anything something like 5 doesn't allow much room to add another species... might be a bit overstocked.

if I put in 5 black skirt tetras what else can I add and how many? cherry barbs maybe? plays and mollys are a bit boring, and she's already had them before. or instead of 5 tetras, maybe 4 of them and 4 of something else? I have never dealt with a tank this small before.

thanks for the advice!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd go with a smaller tetra. Small tanks require small fish.

Neons, cherry shrimp, and a couple of male guppies would be my suggestion.

Swifterz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hmmm I had thought 10 gallons was acceptable for black tetras, but I guess they need 20. I may have to get something else.

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll second the cherry shrimp + guppies vote. I have black skirt tetras and they get a lot bigger than you think (one of mine is ~2.5"). Neons or glowlights might look nice as well, but with only 10 gallon it will be hard to keep a proper school. I also like Glofish (danios) for small tanks, but they technically prefer to be in schools as well.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I doubt that Glofish will work, they need even more space than the tetras, being incredibly hyper and energetic. I would suggest a 20 gallon minimum for most species of danios (save celestial pearl danios, who can go in a 10 gallon...hey! A perfect idea! and giant danios, who need 40 gallon minimum).

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I used to really dislike guppies, but I now have one and I think it is one of the best looking fish that can be kept in a 10 gallon.

Another option (and one I really want to do) would be a tanganyika shell dweller tank. You could start with 2-4 of either n. brevis or n. multifaciatus (multies) and it would make a very fun to watch 10 gallon. I plan on converting my 10 gallon to this once I figure out what to do with its current inhabitants.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads