Stocking my planted 20L

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Suave, Jul 29, 2015.

1. SuaveValued MemberMember

that is an album of the currently planted tank.

After a long and tiring battle with ich I'm left with a single German Blue Ram and a handful of Zebra Thorn Snails. So now the question is, what should I restock my tank with? It has been about two week since the ich massacre, and the tank is running fine.

Lots of plants, a filter rated for a 50g tank is run for half an hour every hour, and temp is usually 74-78. I feed normal flakes and occasionally frozen bloodworms if it makes any difference in suggestions.

Also if possible I would LOVE to have a healthy community of shrimp in the tank if possible. All suggestions welcome!

2. ReyesValued MemberMember

What do you mean by the filter runs for half an hour every hour?

3. SuaveValued MemberMember

for example, it runs: 9:00-9:30, 10:00-10:30, 11:00-11:30...

Not sure if that makes a difference or if that is even alright for my tank. But I figured, filters are largely about the gallons filtered per hour. So if I have one that is rated for a 50g tank, I can run it for half the time. This will give some time of more still water and time for a heavier current within my tank. Although the filter is situated at the right end, so with all the plants, there are still areas that are protected from the heavy current for fish that prefer so.

4. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

The filter should be running 24/7.
    Think of it as the life support system of your tank, it provides oxygen & nutrients to the beneficial bacteria living in it (if it is cycled) which process the fish waste preventing harmful ammonia & nitrite build up.

5. Aqua HeroWell Known MemberMember

thats not how it works. if you have a filter it is suppose to be on constantly. if you have strong current then lower it or buy a spray bar. what filter do you have?

6. SuaveValued MemberMember

I figured it would be fine. Afterall you see people with planted tanks without a filter at all. So is it absolutely necessary for it to run 24/7?

I'm not at home right now, but I believe it is a Marineland(?) filter

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You have fish in your tank though, so it should be running constantly.

8. aquaman86Valued MemberMember

Always keep your filter running at all times

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. SuaveValued MemberMember

Got it. Filter will be running constantly now. Now any stocking suggestions?

10. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Even people with planted tanks run filters 24/7, including myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. Mark321New MemberMember

Can you rehome the Ram and make it a shrimp tank?
    Can you rehome the Ram and replace with a Betta?

In a 20L I'd think they are about your only options.

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

In a 20L, you have lots of options (I'm assuming 20 gal long, not 20 liter). You could add some small schooling fish with the ram?

13. Mark321New MemberMember

Ha!
    Apologies, just had a look at pics, 20G obviously, not 20L.

14. SuaveValued MemberMember

Ahh yes, sorry about the confusion. I'm used to 20L and 20H, wasnt even thinking gallons or liters

15. KwigWell Known MemberMember

Well at least we have an idea why the ich massacre occurred. I'd hold off for a few weeks until the filter has been running non stop. Then add fish in small groups, like 2 or 3 at a time, or supplement with TSS or Stability.
    I'm impressed the survivor was a GBR. I've heard they can be pretty sensitive. I'd imagine you can add a school of barbs or rasbora or small tetra, and maybe try larger shrimp like ghost or Amano shrimp. No idea if GBR are likely to go after them. My Kribensis don't even notice the shrimp in my tank. To be safe, the red cherry shrimp live in a shrimp only tank. ;)

LOL @ 20 litres.

Btw, nice tank! Live the rock formation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  16. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

I would rehome the ram and get about 30 red cherry shrimp if it were my tank, I think that tank looks great and a colony of red cherries would really stand out in there.
    The overgrown anacharis looks good too, shrimp would love it IMO.

I also think for fish, harlequin rasboras would really stand out, I could see a lot of fish I don't generally like looking great in that tank.

If you don't know about tank cycling be sure to read up on it, the fact that a GBR is still alive has me thinking it's probably cycled though.

Make sure you run the filter with some fresh carbon in it for a while to remove any ich treatment that could still be in the water column before adding shrimp. A lot of medications will kill shrimp so it's best to make sure there is no trace of them left.

17. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

A school of cardinal tetras would be beautiful in there with all that green, and they're ok in the warmer temps that the ram would like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. SuaveValued MemberMember

Great suggestions! I've never had RCS or Harlequins, so I'll have to look into them!