Stocking my newly cycled tank!

1. T

Toddy94 New Member Member

i have recently just finished cycling my 55g tank and would like to know what fish to stock it wiith. i would love to have pictus catfish but also l am considering having cichlids or even eels. i am open to all suggestions. please share with me experiences keeping any of these fish and stocking ideas

Attached Files:

2. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore. I am glad you chose our Forum.

I do not think your tank is big enough to keep eels. The smalles eel you can keep in an aquarium is the Snowflake eel. It doesn't eat fish (only crustaseons) and only grows to 24 inches. You really need a 75 gallon tank to keep that adult eel.

That being said, there are so many options. I have seven tanks

1) South American Cichlids with an Oscar and Flowerhorn. I kept them in a 55 gallon for the first year and now I have them in a 100 gallon.
    2) I have a RAM tank with all differant kinds of RAMS
    3) I have a Angelfish Tank
    4) I have a general tropical fish tank with guppies, platys and the such
    5) I have Central American Convicts in a tank
    6) I have African Mbunas in another tank (very colorful and fun)
    7) I have a Betta tank (which a 55 is too big for anyway)

There are some options.... It really depends on what you want.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

I think he means eels as in spiny eels, which are fish. The smaller species can live in a 55.

I think pictus cats would do best in an 18 inch wide tank (50% more bottom space for them to cruise), but the 55 will most likely be fine.

You have a lot of options, as wendy pointed out. You could do a semi aggressive tank with cichlids, barbs, loaches, larger tetras like colombian or buenos aires, and the spiny eel.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Woops sorry about that. I didn't even know there were spiny eel fish. Excuse my lack of knowledge.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Until recently, I didn't know that there were true freshwater eels.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the lore! that is a really nice looking tank. I could def see that as a nice chiclid tank. Def recomend that link that ken provided as stocking those types of tanks can be difficult if not done properly.