55 Gallon Tank Stocking my new 55 :)

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It has finally happened, I saved up enough for my 55 gallon! Now it's time to stock it.
I'm going to go sand this time, and live plant the entire thing. There will be plenty of drift wood. It's going to be amazing...

Of course I would have to move all of my fish from the 20g over, so I'll include those in my plan here.

(fish I have)
6 Red Wag Platies
4 Dalmatian Mollies
4 Black Mollies
1 Common Pleco
(fish I plan to get)
4 Kuhli Loaches
2 German Blue Rams
10 Black Skirt Tetra

Now, right here I am about 107% stocked according to AqAdvisor.com. But do you really think I am?
I would really like to get some more mollies and a few more platies. 4 Cremecicle Mollies, and 4 Black Variatus Platies.

What do you guys think?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No doubt that common pleco is responsible for that.

kuhli loaches contribute a minimal amount of waste, so i would do at least 6 of them. youll see a lot more of them that way too.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd agree with Aqadvisor that your slightly overstocked. The Common Pleco is the killer. If you really want to have more of the smaller fish I suggest trading it on a smaller Pleco species like a Clown or Bristlenose Pleco. That would free up some room for other fish.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol, stinking plecos...
I never really understood how much they poop. It's like he TPs the plants with long strings of ****. It's pretty gross.

Yeah...I took off the pleco and it brought down 10%

EDIT: Without the pleco, and after adding the 4 cremecicles, and 4 platies, as well as the extra black molly and red wag platy fry I was going to put in when they grow up, I'm up to 125%.

Not disastrous, but still kinda' high...

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think my highest is 168%, but many of my tanks are in the 120-140% range.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, so it is okay to go way over? I'm gonna' have to buy a new filter because it's shouting that I need more filtration capacity. I'm gonna' get another TopFin60, like the one that came with my 55 kit.

It's like $25 right now at Petsmart, they're having this huge behind sale.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can go over but you need to be prepared to do extra water changes & filter maintenance. Keep in mind that Jaysee has lots of experience & monitors his tanks quite closely. I know he won't recommend his high stocking levels to anyone else. I think he's more just giving an example that overstocking can be achieved if you have the experience & the time to perform all the extra maintenance.

(Sorry if I got that wrong Jaysee)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can go over but you need to be prepared to do extra water changes & filter maintenance. Keep in mind that Jaysee has lots of experience & monitors his tanks quite closely. I know he won't recommend his high stocking levels to anyone else. I think he's more just giving an example that overstocking can be achieved if you have the experience & the time to perform all the extra maintenance.

(Sorry if I got that wrong Jaysee)
Nope, that's right. I forgot the disclaimer

My heaviest stocked tanks are the 45 and 30, which have an XP3 and and XP2, respectively.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lol, stinking plecos...
I never really understood how much they poop. It's like he TPs the plants with long strings of ****. It's pretty gross.

I almost spit my drink out reading that. Keep in mind Aqadvisor actually only gives you about 65% of the actual advertised rating of the filter in question(and for good reason). See many people are lazy and or busy and fall behind or neglect their tanks more often than not(not me!). If you stay on top of your water changes and keep a regular water testing schedule things shouldn't get out of hand if you go a bit over 100% A bit doesn't mean 300% either lol(even though mine is at 210% *cough*)

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, okay. I am about 133% right now with two TopFin60 power filters. My filtration capacity is satisfactory.

So this is what I have so far on my list...

11 x Platy (7 red wag, 4 black variatus)
4 x Dalmatian Molly
8 x Molly (4 black, 4 cremecicle)
6 x Kuhli Loach
10 x Black Skirt Tetra
2 x German Blue Ram
1 x Bristlenose Pleco

I got a lot of water to change out each week...how much do you guys think live plants will effect that?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't think a whole lot. They may help a little but I wouldn't say more than 2-3%

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plants can help a massive amount or very little. There are lots of variables involved but the ones you would mostly be concerned with is what sort of plants you use & how heavily the tank is planted. Having lots of plants that use all of the fish waste is not a reason to skimp on biological filtration. It's always best to have adequate biological filtration just in case anything goes wrong with the plants. A sudden algae outbreak or some other change in the tank could be enough to stop the plants taking in all of the wastes & lead to problems.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IME, if you want to overstock you need better than satisfactory filtration.
+1 to that. I think you should upgrade to either a canister or an AquaClear HOB instead of two TopFins if you're going to overstock. Don't get me wrong, I've got TopFins in all my tanks but I'm glad I have AquaClears in both big tanks too. IMO the mechanical filtration is superior and the biomax gives much more surface area for the BB to grow on. Both tanks look dramatically clearer now that I've added the ACs.

-Lisa

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cannisters can be soooo expensive sometimes...but I'll see what I can do.

I wouldn't use the plants as an excuse to skip maintenance, only to help clean the water. I plan to plant very heavily, with several different kinds of plants. I'm still doing research, but I've got a rough draft of what I want the tank to look like. There will be plants all along the the back and sides of the tank, and a point will jet out in the middle to create two open areas for swimming on both sides in the front. It's gonna' look amazing.
Plenty of driftwood, some slabs of granite, and I'm bringing the skull back!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom