Stocking my new 230 gallon community aquarium

1. loftyyy Initiate Member

i have just completed cycling my new dream tank and am currently in the process of stocking rather than going for very large fish i have opted to go for a more community tank i plan to aquascape the tank with a heavy amount of live plant and large pieces of drift wood am just having trouble with stocking number as have never had anything remotely the size of this aquarium
    [​IMG]

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. loftyyy Initiate Member

ty

4. Skyy2112 Member Member

I like your stock idea, but I feel 6 angels would be too much aggression.

5. loftyyy Initiate Member

any other suggestions for a similar centerpiece fish then the size allows for options i dont even know maybe gourami?

6. Skyy2112 Member Member

- is6 angels a good school?

7. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi fellow Minnesota resident!! :)

230 gallons is huge!! I'm so envious! Congrats on that loftyyy !

Angels are my passion. The only concern I have with you getting 6 (which a 230 gallon would have plenty of space for) is you may likely end up with a breeding pair at some point. And angels (as they are cichlids) can get pretty nasty when breeding. But in a tank that large....maybe it won't be an issue. Especially if it is heavily planted. I honestly don't know though.

Also, plecos breed like rabbits, so if you get two and they are male and female, you may face a ridiculous amount of babies. I don't have experience with gold nugget plecos....but if they breed like BN plecos...then you might want to avoid having a male and a female if you can. :) The first litter of babies is fun....but when you start to get 50+ every few weeks....it is overwhelming!

Any pics of the new tank?!

8. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

ANOTHER MINNESOTAN LOL hi

But anyways GEEZ a 250!?!?!?!? LUCKY :D what kind of plants are you thinking to have? Yes about the angel fish...there is a good chance of being more than 1 breeding pair and that doesnt go well with angels being so aggressive during breeding like bizali said. Maybe you could up your schools or tetras? Or maybe have a few hatchet fish as your top level schooling. Its your tank but it's just ideas :) im so jealous that you get a 250 btw lol

9. loftyyy Initiate Member

how many would you suggest

10. loftyyy Initiate Member

and thanks for all the replies guys ill provide some picks when i travel back home and have aquascapped the plants

11. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I would say 5+. They look really neat when in a big school