Stocking my new 230 gallon community aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by loftyyy, Jun 15, 2016.

1. loftyyyNew MemberMember

i have just completed cycling my new dream tank and am currently in the process of stocking rather than going for very large fish i have opted to go for a more community tank i plan to aquascape the tank with a heavy amount of live plant and large pieces of drift wood am just having trouble with stocking number as have never had anything remotely the size of this aquarium
    [​IMG]

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. OP
    OP
    l

loftyyyNew MemberMember

4. Skyy2112

Skyy2112Valued MemberMember

I like your stock idea, but I feel 6 angels would be too much aggression.

5. OP
    OP
    l

loftyyyNew MemberMember

any other suggestions for a similar centerpiece fish then the size allows for options i dont even know maybe gourami?

6. Skyy2112

Skyy2112Valued MemberMember

- is6 angels a good school?

7. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Hi fellow Minnesota resident!! :)

230 gallons is huge!! I'm so envious! Congrats on that loftyyy !

Angels are my passion. The only concern I have with you getting 6 (which a 230 gallon would have plenty of space for) is you may likely end up with a breeding pair at some point. And angels (as they are cichlids) can get pretty nasty when breeding. But in a tank that large....maybe it won't be an issue. Especially if it is heavily planted. I honestly don't know though.

Also, plecos breed like rabbits, so if you get two and they are male and female, you may face a ridiculous amount of babies. I don't have experience with gold nugget plecos....but if they breed like BN plecos...then you might want to avoid having a male and a female if you can. :) The first litter of babies is fun....but when you start to get 50+ every few weeks....it is overwhelming!

Any pics of the new tank?!

8. BamBamSorg

BamBamSorgWell Known MemberMember

ANOTHER MINNESOTAN LOL hi

But anyways GEEZ a 250!?!?!?!? LUCKY :D what kind of plants are you thinking to have? Yes about the angel fish...there is a good chance of being more than 1 breeding pair and that doesnt go well with angels being so aggressive during breeding like bizali said. Maybe you could up your schools or tetras? Or maybe have a few hatchet fish as your top level schooling. Its your tank but it's just ideas :) im so jealous that you get a 250 btw lol

9. OP
    OP
    l

loftyyyNew MemberMember

how many would you suggest

10. OP
    OP
    l

loftyyyNew MemberMember

and thanks for all the replies guys ill provide some picks when i travel back home and have aquascapped the plants

11. BamBamSorg

BamBamSorgWell Known MemberMember

I would say 5+. They look really neat when in a big school

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice