Stocking My Freswater Tank 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by GabiGourami, Jun 16, 2018.

1. GabiGourami

GabiGourami New Member Member

Hello, everyone!
    I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank. 78 degrees F. Sand substrate. I already have 3 panda Cory Cats and just added 1 male Dwarf Gourami. My tank is still new cycled as of about 2-3 weeks ago, so I'm slowly adding more fish. I was looking for some fun additions to my tank and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on what I could add next. :)

2. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

I’d LOVE a 20 gallon, so jealous!

I really love the look of neon tetras to add that wizzing school of colour. And snails of course.

I’m probably not the best person to give you advice though because I’m new myself but best of luck!

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

The current recommendation for stocking shoaling or schooling fish is a minimum of six.

So for starters, you should get 3 more Panda cory.

After that, you could do a shoal of temperature compatible tetra or rasbora. Or a few platy.

What makes you press your nose against the tanks when you go to the pet store? That's where you should start. Then do your homework to verify it's a good fit.

4. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

I would do
    1 Dwarf gourami
    6 panda Cories
    And 6 small tetras/Rasboras.
    Any variety, except for the larger more predatory tetras.

5. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

It depend is it long or tall 20gallon?
    How much of real plant mass do you have.

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Also, I wouldn’t add fish while the tank is still cycling.

You should just keep the fish that you have now and read up on fish in cycling very well.

7. OP
    OP
    GabiGourami

My tank is finished cycled completely. I'm just now adding fish after the 3 month cycling period. As of this morning my Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate was 0.
    But thanks for the feed back :)

8. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

If nitrate was zero... you are not cycled, unless you have a ton of plants in their. Even then a cycled tank should have some nitrates.

9. OP
    OP
    GabiGourami

Tall! And no real plants just yet. I have about 6ish fake ones.

10. OP
    OP
    GabiGourami

yeah sorry! It was right above the 0 mark. My reader goes 0, then 5.0. It was right above that 0 mark.

11. OP
    OP
    GabiGourami

I agree! I had some cory cats die on me so that's why I haven't gotten anymore just yet. I'm also scared because I don't know the gender of them and I'm not ready to take care of babies lol! But cory cats are such a fun to have I can't wait for more.

12. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

No reason to be scared they are not that easy to brees but you absolutely need to have school of at least 6 of them. And in this case i wouldn't push for more then what @fishlover001 suggested. And keep adding them slowly so first 3 more pandas and get your school of 6 small tetras or whatever in two times, all that over 2-3 weeks. I think that would be your max.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice