stocking my 55 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by drasan, Dec 20, 2012.

1. d

drasan New Member Member

i just got a 55 gallon tank. I currently have 6 cories, 7 guppies, 5 white clouds, 4 platies, 10 mollies. can i add some neon tetras and a few more cories and 1 dwarf gourami

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

More Cory's would be good, but I would fill out the white clouds before introducing any more species.

Your tank sounds like its poised for a population explosion. Is that something you want?

3. OP
    OP
    d

drasan New Member Member

i wasn't really thinking about that when i picked the fish. Just looked for colorful community fish. I wasn't sure if I had too many fish but I do LOVE the cories

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

With all those live bearers, you could very easily get over run with fry. I would take measures to control that. You wouldn't have to get rid of any fish, as long as you don't mind doing what's necessary. For example, you can always isolate a pregnant fish in a breeder box and cull the fry. Mind you, you'd have to do that over and over. If your not comfortable with that, then you might want to consider getting rid of the females. There is a chance you might run into aggression problems with a tank of all males. If that happens you'll have to redo your stocking.

5. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

Or just get a predatorial fish. Maybe some type of gourami or some dwarf cichlids like Bolivian rams. Or maybe even an angelfish.

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...you're on a path to disaster. I highly recommend you read up on the nitrogen cycle (<-- words should be link article) since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

Basically the cycle goes like this:
    In a cycled tank:
    1) Fish produce highly toxic ammonia.
    2) There is bacteria that lives in the filter which consumes this ammonia but releases highly toxic nitrite.
    3) There is a second bacteria living in the filter which consumes nitrite and released much less toxic nitrate.
    4) Since the nitrate levels build up over time, you need to do regular (weekly for most people) partial water changes to keep nitrates in check (preferably under 20ppm)

In an uncycled tank:
    1) Fish Produce highly toxic ammonia.
    2) Since there is no bacteria in the filter ammonia levels rise.
    3) The high ammonia level kills your fish...but if somehow your fish survive, eventually with ammonia in the water the ammonia consuming bacteria will develope and consume all ammonia but start pumping out highly toxic nitrites.
    4) Nitrites continue to rise and your fish die...but if somehow your fish survive, eventually this second bacteria will develope and consume all nitrite. At that point you are cycled.

So unless you want to rehome your fish and do a fishless cycle, you need to cycle in a way which will keep your fish safe from death by ammonia/nitrite exposure. There are basically two ways to do this:
    1) Daily 35%-50% partial water changes with an ammonia/nitrite detoxing water conditioner such as Prime. (This could take 6 weeks or so)
    2) Dose tank with Tetra SafeStart. SafeStart is a bottle of the bacteria that will develope in your filter naturally over the course of several weeks. Basically you pour a bottle of Safestart in the tank and do nothing other than feed your fish for 14 days. On day 14 test your water and if all worked correctly...you're cycled.If you plan to use SafeStart, please post so someone can guide you thru the process. (It's real easy, but you really need to follow directions exactly or the odds of failure increase dramatically).

Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    d

drasan New Member Member

i did use nutrafin cycle when i started the tank & added each time i added new fish. I had two fish stores test my water & each time all readings were perfect they said. They also said with the fish i have the only thing i need to test on a regular basis is ph. Is that true? The fish all seem to be ok, however, did have 1 dead white cloud

8. OP
    OP
    d

drasan New Member Member

I was going to get an angel and salesman advised me not to. He said it would harass & or eat my other fish. Guppies & white clouds in particular

9. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Never trust your LFS advice or readings (It's a TRAP!!), these are the same people that will sell you a 10g and tell you that a goldfish, a bottom feeder and a couple of barbs will do well together in that little 10g. You should invest in an Api master test kit :)

10. OP
    OP
    d

drasan New Member Member

thanks i will get one. Any thoughts on the angelfish. Would it be a good fit???

11. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Once full grown, and angel may very well eat the two species you mentioned, nice and streamlined, easy to swallow.

12. allaboutfish

I've heard that if you get young ones that grow up with them they will be fine. I had juvenile swords with my angels with no problems.

13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The problem with Nutrifin Cycle is that while it does contain bacteria that will convert ammonia into nitrite and bacteria that will convert nitrite into nitrate, that bacteria is not self-sustaining and dies off after a week or so. (That is why the directions say to add it with every water change, and since your water changes should be done weekly, you need to add it every week). But the worst part is that while the bacteria is alive, it is busy out competing the naturally forming, self-sustaining bacteria that you really want. That is why I recommended Tetra SafeStart, which contains the proper, self-sustaining bacteria that would form naturally over time.

PH is really one of the least important things to check. Fish will adapt to just about any pH between 6.0 & 8.5. But what is important is having a stable, non fluxuating pH. Really the most important parameters to moniter is ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

14. Matt B

I would agree with your statement if you changed "will be" to "may be" there is no way to know how a particular fish will react and speaking in finalities is rarely accurate in a hobby with countless variables.

15. OP
    OP
    d

drasan New Member Member

as to the angels get 1? get a pair? get two males? not interested in even trying to breed them. Just looking to enjoy them. Also I have 3 albino cories & 3 pandas they school together. can i get another 3 & 3 of 2 differant types or 5 more of 1? I love the variety.

16. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I've always heard to get them in pairs, but I am no angel expert!

17. Matt B

You can get just one angel if you like, they are normally fine going solo.

18. allaboutfish

Of course! There's no absolute answer to anything in this hobby.

19. OP
    OP
    d

drasan New Member Member

just bought the safe start the bottle doesn't give directions. just says enough for a 75 gallon tank. i was wondering f i should just add 50 ml. and when i do my next water change dumop in the whole bottle???

20. W

WetWork Valued Member Member

You have to add the entire bottle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice