Briandd30 Valued Member Member

I have a 50 gal aquarium and have it stocked with the following
    2 Angelfish
    4 guppies
    3 black skirt tetras(adding 3 more)
    1 Bolivian ram
    1 Red wag platy ( probably add 3 more)
    1 neon dwarf gourami
    I thinking about adding some swordtails,rainbow fish or a school of serpea tetras or otocinclus will that be fine or is that too much im running a sponge filter and a 50 gal filter also any suggestions on other fish to stock in there

2. Kitma

Kitma Valued Member Member

How are your black skirts getting along with your angels? The ones at work always nip the dorsal find down to bubs (though it is far far from ideal conditions)

Otos are really great, especially in a school. So cute!
    Serpa tetras add a pop of colour, though someone more experienced than I might say it would he overstocked
    Any thoughts on a pleco? Bristlenose, clown?
    Rainbows generally get kinds big and might be too much. I also wouldn't add more platys because they get big and are poop machines.

3. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

cherry barbs maybe? They're small and colorful!

4. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

Thanks my tetras are doing fine with my angels

5. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

What about the swordtails?

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would switch the black skirts out for diamond tetras, which are more compatible and better looking anyway.

7. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

Actually I like the black skirts better so will keep those

8. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

I was maybe thinking of adding a new gourami I know that they can be aggressive towards each other but I've had success with 3 together

9. Cricket lynn mclean

Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I like the idea of the Ottos. You don't have much for clean up listed

10. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

Yeah starting to get a bit of algae on the glass

11. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would do this with the stock you had in mind-
    2 Angelfish
    4 Guppies
    10 Black Skirt Tetras or 10 Diamond Tetras(Preferably the Diamonds as they are more temp. compatible)
    4 Bolivian Rams(1 Male 3 Female, You will see better coloring in when they are in a group)
    4 Platies
    1 Neon Dwarf Gourami
    12 Bronze Cories
    1 Clown Pleco(Make sure driftwood is in the tank as they can't survive entirely on algae)
    Temp.-77'F
    No Swordtails as they will interbreed with the Platies and may cause deformed babies. I would do no Rainbows or Serpaes as you already have a lot of mid-top dwellers. You could do Otos but they are hard to keep alive sometimes and they might get eaten by the Angels, Cories are better as they clean the bottom of the tank(though they will need their own food), get large enough to not get eaten, and are quite nice to watch. As for another Gourami, i wouldn't but it is your tank, but let me state why i wouldn't-First)Agression(2 Gouramis in another tank might work but might not in this tank, all fish are different, also if they breed they will likely injure other tankmates), Second)Fin-Nipping(Gouramis are known fin nippers),Third)Size(This only counts if you get a different Gourami that is not a Dwarf, it might get larger and eat smaller tankmates or just be a bully to other tankmates). Good Luck, Hope i helped.

12. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

Thanks a lot

13. Lance0414

Welcome, Glad i could help! :):)

14. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

Also have another question
    I have anuncias java fern and swords dwarf hair grass any suggestions on hardy plants I can get at petsmart or petco

15. OP
    OP
    Briandd30

16. Cricket lynn mclean

My pet smart has anacharis which is pretty easy. Not sure those stores have it but hornwart and jungle val are pretty easy and lower light levels

17. Cricket lynn mclean

My horn wart is angry because I had aquarium salt in the tank. Not recommended lol 0806172240-1.jpg

18. Lance0414

How about some Aponagetons, Water Lilys and Water Onions. You could get them all as bulbs in the Topfin Bulb pack, 11/12 have grown so far and the fish love them. As for other plants, Anubias, Java Fern, El Nino Fern, and Amazon Sword.

19. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't use aquarium salt at all, personally, it is a waste of money IMO.