Stocking My 40 Litre Tank Without Being Cruel

1. Western

Western Valued Member Member

I have a 40 litre tank in process of a fishless cycle was advised to go for stingray 15 for filter rather than 5 just trying to get it right any suggestions or begginers tips would be most greatful?

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Take the size of the tank, multiply by 10, and the number of answer should be the liters-per-hour (LPH) rating of your filter. This does not apply to bettas who would appreciate less flow.

3. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    Western

With me being a beginner was wanting to take on harder fish until I was comfortable with my fish keeping skills.also the live baring fish could turn out to be a disaster as I'm on a budget at the moment and couldn't house more fish than the tank I have.

You've given me a lot to research though thanks so much you don't know how much it means to get some real input on the situation haha I've been losing sleep over it.

5. LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaasha New Member Member

If you have a big community tank with female & male livebearers then they will definitely breed, however very few fry will make it (if any). Depends on how well planted the tank is as well - but very few will survive in any case. :)

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

About 10 gallons, right? Some endlers would look cool.

7. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

40 liters is a bit under 10 gallons. Anything with 250+ liters per hour would be fine.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? Is it 20 inches by 10 inches?

9. OP
    OP
    Western

18" length 13" deep and 9 1/2 inch from back to front?

I most defiantly agree with proverbs 12:10

10. Anders247

OK, so it is basically a 10g with less length and more width. What fish do you like?

11. OP
    OP
    Western

I like all fish as a beginner looking for something I won't make mistakes with that could be drastic! Been through 3 filters already trying to get it right just awaiting a eheim 60 now hoping the flow is not to much!I do like schooling Fish.

12. Anders247