Stocking My 40 Gallon Bowfront

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jusBoogey, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jusBoogeyNew MemberMember

Hello everybody
    This is my first post here so if im in the wrong section feel free to correct me.
    I have been in the hobby for about a year now and im addicted. Started off with a couple small tanks but now ive narrowed it down to a 10 gallon and my most recently purchased 40 gallon bowfront.

My question today is for the stocking of my 40 gallon. It is a planted tank with 2 big pieces of drift wood and some rocks. plenty of hiding space.
    The tank is fully cycled and at the moment i have 2 corys and 2 yoyo loaches.
    My plans were to get about 8 tiger barbs and a small school of praecox rainbows maybe 3-5 of them. Im here today to pick your brain and see if this stocking is okay for my tank and what i should and shouldnt know.
    Sorry if this post is a bit unorganized ill get the hang of the site soon lol. i will also post pictures of my set ups once i get back home. thank you all

2. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

So my first question is what is the length of your tank? 30 or 36 inches?

Corydoras and yoyo loaches are schooling fish and require numbers to be comfortable. Unfortunately 2 of each is not enough. I would suggest you keep at least 6 of each species. That being said, yoyo loaches are quite active and 6 of them may be too large for your tank if also keeping corydoras.

Depending on the size of your tank, I would also try to get a greater number of tiger barbs as they can get quite nippy in smaller numbers. 8 should be ok but I would try to increase that to 10 or 12. For the praecox rainbows (beautiful fish by the way) I would do at least 6 since they are also schooling fish and would appreciate larger numbers.

3. jusBoogeyNew MemberMember

thanks for the response!
    The corys i put in the tank temporarily while i was cleaning my smaller tank and they just loved it so i never took them out. They also seem to hang out with the yoyos and they all seem like they think they are the same fish lol i could remove the corys and add some more yoyos possibly. The tank is 30" long and from the back of tank to the bowfront is about 18 inches and surprisingly the tank is very roomy.
    plenty of hiding spaces. Couldnt even find the yoyos the other day at all and then they magically reappeared.
    So youre telling me i can do a larger school of the tigers and praecox rainbows in this tank and be fine? i do 30% water changes every week and vacuum the gravel. All my levels are good.

4. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Ahh ok. I thought it would be a 36 inch tank. With a 30 inch tank you are a bit more limited. I would maybe bump the tiger barbs to 10. You may still have room for 6 praecox rainbows

Though I would remove the yoyos as they will eventually outgrow that tank and up the corydoras to around 8

@TexasDomer what do you think?

5. jusBoogeyNew MemberMember

hmmm thats a possibility. I really love the yoyos though they are very fun to watch which is unfortunate if i have to get rid of them. Ive been browsing online and have seen a couple tanks where they have 3 and said they do fine with plenty of cover to feel safe. Any other stocking ideas for this tank im open to new ideas

6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I agree, I'd just stock a single cory school in this tank, and rehome the yoyos.

Since it's only 30" long, I would personally just do a larger school of tiger barbs and not add any rainbowfish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice