Stocking My 29 Gallon Tank 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishlover83, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Fishlover83

Fishlover83Valued MemberMember

I recently got back into having a larger tank again. I currently have 3 cories, 8 harlequin rasboras, 6 zebra danios, a male betta, and a clown pleco. I am wanting to add one more school or one fish that is standoutish. Any thoughts would be appricated. 1562086646608.jpg

2. Jack B.

Jack B.Valued MemberMember

What do you run the temperature at? I feel like you have some temperature problems if you have danios and a Betta in the same aquarium.

3. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

My tank stays at 79/80. They were recommended as a fish to put with Jimmy bluefish (my betta lol).

4. Jack B.

Huh, zebra danios are normally a maxed of 75 degrees. What type of Cory do you have? You

5. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

They seem happy. They zip around and play.
    I have 2 albino cories and 1 green cory.

6. Jack B.

Alright, ide at the very least up the Cory school to 6.

You could maybe try some snails? Your tank seems pretty stocked in the sense that you have each level of the water column with fish in it.

You always could just restart and get rid of all the fish but the Betta and get a bunch of cardinals or something along those lines.

You could even maybe get away with getting rid of the danios and maybe getting a couple Bolivian rams.

7. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

A lady at a fish store told me I could add some dwarf rainbow fish. I was thinking a school of those would put me way over stocked. They are beautiful but I dont want to make my fish miserable.

I had 6, but I dont think 3 of them were healthy. They died within 3 days of adding them. So now I just have the 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2019
  8. Jack B.

Ah, I just know that the more there are the happier the group will be as a whole.

9. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

Yes I'm aware. I've always kept cories. I used to have a 75 gallon molly breeding tank. I'm not new to the game, just newly back in lol. I just havent replaced any since im not sure why they died. Plus these 3 arent acting as I would prefer. So im kinda waiting to sew how they do. They are newly added. I appreciate you trying to helping me

10. Jack B.

Ah! That makes sense, glad I could help.

11. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

Do you think my water could be causing the cories to act strange. I cant get my ph down after changing my rocks. I think im going to purchase some diftwood this weekend to start preparing. 20190702_134027_HDR.jpg

12. Jack B.

Your ph is similar to mine and I have Cory’s

13. MrFishkeeper1

MrFishkeeper1Valued MemberMember

Fish will get stressed with a ph change, your danios seem fine now but later they will get stressed out, most corydoras don't like that high of water temp either try to get it around 77-78 degrees, Coreis are a species only type only get one species for your group try to get at least 6 if not like 8, not trying to be rude but just understand what you are doing here.

Plus fish can adjust to a certain ph its better to have a stabble ph then it changing all the time.

14. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

The danios were suggested to go with my betta and research backed that up. So I added them. And I have 50 watt heater. Which is for 20 and up. It's not one with a dial. I can look into getting another one no problem.
    And that is kind of rude sorry but you didn't have to say know what i am doing, I do. I was starting small school of both slowly. Knowing I cant add that many fish at the same time. Three died and I stopped. Im not even sure I am going to keep the last 3, so I havent made a move on them. Its only my 2 albino acting strange. The green is moving about as usual. I lost 2 green and 2 albino.

Ok awesome. Then maybe they just werent strong. My ph usually stays a tad lower till I added these rocks. But i knew that was a big possibility when I changed them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2019
  15. uNeverCantrill

uNeverCantrillNew MemberMember

If it was me I'd double up the cories, rasboras and danios so you 6, 16 and 12. I'd than add either some ottos, SAE's or some nerite snails. After all that either leave the male betta in there or remove him and get a pair of dwarf gouramis, Bolivian rams, keyhole cichlids etc.. I know this sounds like an over stocked aquarium, but I've had a planted 21gal with 3 dwarf gouramis (1 male & 2 female), 5 candy cane tetras, 4 black phantom tetras, 6 zebra danios, 10 rummynose tetras, 8 siamese flying foxes, 6 julli corys, and a bristlenose pleco for over 2.5 years and all the fish are going great. My water is perfect and I do a bi-weekly water change of 20%.

16. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

I really want some dwarf neon rainbow fish. And fix my cories. But I was scared I would overkill it. I love nerite snails too. I wanna stay away from the ottos since I habe the clown.

17. uNeverCantrill

In that case I'd get 1 more albino cory, 3 green cories so you've got a group of 4 each. Than do a group of nerite snails (5-10), just buy whatever group size your lfs sells. For the dwarf rainbows I'd say a school of forktail rainbows would look cool (10-15). I had someone recommend them to me for my 15gal and they look crazy. Agian for a centerpiece fish there's a wide variety you could choose from. I personally like dwarf gouramis and keyholes, but Bolivian rams, GBRs and apistogrammas are some other good choices too. I would hesitate adding a pair of any of them though with a betta in there. Is it a male or female? If it's a female you would probably be fine but I fell like a male betta would go at it with a male gourami or cichlid. So I'd be careful there and watch them closely.

18. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

Jimmy is my betta. He is a male. Although he is very laid back and peaceful id be very weary of adding any type of gourami or cichlid.
    I am kinda hating my decision to add the zebra danios. They dont show up very well in my tank. Or not as well as I thought. Might be my lighting though. And the fact I need to get a background soon too lol.

19. uNeverCantrill

Ya, they may like a tall plant or two for comfort. I know mine love swimming around my Amazon sword plant that shoots off runners that go to the top of the tank. Mine are probably the most active fish in the tank. And in terms of the betta I'd still do everything I said earlier but just leave out the pair of gouramis or cichlids.

20. OP
    OP
    Fishlover83

Yes they are zippy lil guys lol. Thank you for your help!