Stocking my 29 Gallon Planted Freshwater Tank!

HungriestPuffer

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the hobby and just started stocking my 29 gallon planted tank (30 x 12 x 18). The tank is somewhat heavily planted but in the process of growing out (I think I put in about 20 plants, and my water sprite is propagating like crazy already). I cycled fishlessly and added the first two species about 2 weeks apart. Right now I have:

6 x Diamond Tetras
6 x Corydoras Elegans
1 x Mystery Snail
2 x Nerite Snails

I would like to get some Amano Shrimp to add to the bottom, and I'd love to add color/smaller fish for the top and a showpiece to my tank. I've seen other stocking suggestions and I'm somewhat blown away by how many fish can go into one tank -- I already feel like the fish I have are incredibly active and entertaining!

For a showpiece I was thinking of getting Apistogramma or a Dwarf Cichlid/Ram (or a pair), but ideally I want a peaceful community where everyone gets along and has a good time.

For a smaller fish I'm all ears. Maybe chili rasbora? Male endlers?

AggressiveAquatics

What do you think about honey gourami? Rams are bottom dwellers and don’t make the best centerpiece IMO

Upvote 0

HungriestPuffer

What do you think about honey gourami? Rams are bottom dwellers and don’t make the best centerpiece IMO

See, I was concerned about that! I love the look of rams and I find their behavior delightful, but I wondered if they would get territorial with curious cories. I'm too much of a newcomer to have a good sense of these things.

I think honey gourami are cute, and I love bright yellow in fish! I've noticed they're quite well-liked but I have no idea what to expect from their personality or behavior, which is probably the biggest factor for me (aside from adding some color).

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

See, I was concerned about that! I love the look of rams and I find their behavior delightful, but I wondered if they would get territorial with curious cories. I'm too much of a newcomer to have a good sense of these things.

I think honey gourami are cute, and I love bright yellow in fish! I've noticed they're quite well-liked but I have no idea what to expect from their personality or behavior, which is probably the biggest factor for me (aside from adding some color).
I don’t know to much about them either but I do know that they are peaceful and you can keep them in groups unlike most other species of gourami

Upvote 0

fallfever

I agree with AA. You have plenty going on at the bottom of the tank and more upper level activity would be pleasing to the eye. A trio of honeys would be pretty with little aggression, aside from a bit of chasing that can be alleviated with a few hiding spots. Regardless, you've got a good start.

Upvote 0

HungriestPuffer

I agree with AA. You have plenty going on at the bottom of the tank and more upper level activity would be pleasing to the eye. A trio of honeys would be pretty with little aggression, aside from a bit of chasing that can be alleviated with a few hiding spots. Regardless, you've got a good start.

Thank you very much! I'm reading up on honey gouramis more closely and they sound so cute and pleasant to keep. I'll probably enjoy what I have for at least a month before I go shopping for more fish, but I really love looking at all the options out there.

Upvote 0

HungriestPuffer

So I'm pretty settled on getting 3 honey gouramis for the top (1 male 2 female). They're so adorable! What I'm not settled on is which to stock next -- amano shrimp, honey gouramis, or a small colorful fish like endlers or chili rasbora (open to suggestion here).

How many would be feasible without overcrowding? I was thinking of only 3 male endlers for now, or 6 chili rasbora or something similar. Is there anything else easygoing and peaceful that will get along with my other fish and add some color?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
H Farnsworth
Replies
Views
ybinson
Replies
Views
Moonee
  • Question