Stocking my 220 gallon aquarium

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by hlauriza, Aug 6, 2015.

1. hlauriza

hlaurizaNew MemberMember

Hey guys,

I also posted this on aquarium advice so sorry if you have already read this !

I already have my African Cichlid tank that I love.

I am starting up a 220 gallon tank and would like to make it an American Cichlid Tank. I need to know :

What do you guys think for a stocking list ?

How many AC should can be in a tank this size?

Should I do Central or South American?

I am so use to my African Cichlids I don't want to make a mistake. So I would love to hear from the more experienced in American Cichlids people!

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to suggest!

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the forum :)

I would use a sump or a couple of canisters. This will give you enough bio filtration for messy fish.

You can mix SA and CA cichlids.

Do you want common fish, or more rare?

3. OP
    OP
    hlauriza

hlaurizaNew MemberMember

I have a canister filter and a refugium sump for my filtration system currently. On my 125 gal I have a sock filtration system I hear people hate them why I like the sock system a lot better.

As for the type of fish I would probably want a mix of more common and some rare. The more common I can find more easily once I get the tank going. The more rare I'm assuming I would have to ship from a online website Have any suggestions ?

4. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

How about you keep the stock and give me the tank! Sooo much can be done with a 220! Wow!! *drools* :whistling: :drool:

5. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Oscars, Midas, Jaguars, convicts, Firemouth, green terror, trimac, pleco, silver dollars off the top of my head. Look at Jeff Rapps stock list to get some more ideas for cichlids
    http://www.tangledupincichlids.com
    He is reliable and probably has the best stock and variety of anyone in the United States. Lots of rare, common, and wild caught cichlids.
    Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

6. OP
    OP
    hlauriza

hlaurizaNew MemberMember

Thanks guys !

7. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

Oscars, green terrors, JD's and some widebar silver dollars with featherfin catfish maybe.